Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flagmen and Marshaller's Signals

Flagmen and Marshaller's Signals

All,

Just a constructive note about the flagmen at OSH this year......

We really need to teach the flagmen proper marshaling signals to avoid confusion.

The signals the flagmen give to move aircraft are NOT related to the flagman's position to the aircraft. I am seeing flagmen standing forward and to one side of the aircraft motioning with BOTH hands to move forward. (arms extended up and back of the hand facing the pilot, motioning back and forth. This signal is for the aircraft to move STRAIGHT forward, irrespective of the marshaller's position. Note the "move ahead" signal in the attached PDF.

Often the marshaller means "come toward me" with the above. Instead he should be turning the aircraft using the signal in the "turn left" or "turn right" box of the PDF.

This became VERY confusing when approach the intersection of two grass taxi paths, with other turn options and close to runway 27. The marshaller was signaling us to go straight thru an obstruction and we just had to stop, tying up traffic until it was clear as to his intentions. His intentions were to have us move over to an adjacent taxi path, closer to the runway.

Anyone else have issues?

If anyone would tell me how to attach a file, I'd appreciate it. Going to the file manager, I can up load a file by dragging, but no way to load it. ?

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Once you've uploaded the file, then you drag it down to the attachments section to attach it to that particular message - here's a screenshot:

Name:  dragfiles.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  76.1 KB

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

I noticed that too; Especially when the Cubs were parking. I've seen it at a lot of airports, but the difference is that at most other places you can see the parking tee or something that helps you figure out where they are trying to direct you to.

The more annoying issue for me was the 2-3 marshallers that stood directly in front of my taildragger airplane. I felt like I needed one of those semi signs that says "if you can't see me, I can't see you". I can't complain too much though, despite the HBP sign on my non-aerobatic plane, I was directed right up front to show center in the IAC area! And, I did make it to my spot without an issue. So, thanks volunteers!

A group of us watched a P51 run over a white taxi marker on Friday near the warbird area. Mainly because the marshaller was giving unclear signals and the pilot would have lost sight of the marshaller the nearer he got. The marshaller should have moved to ensure that the pilot could see them at all times. There is no point standing directly in front of a P51 giving the stop signal because the pilot will not see you. Also noticed that the taxi speed of some aircraft on the grass was high and would not have made for a comfortable ride plus the increased risk of damage. One aircraft did suffer some damage as result of the rough grass and had to stop for a while to remove a wheel spat and check for other damage leading to a very congested taxiway for a short time. This area was coned off the following day.

I usually hang out in the area North of Rwy 27. I do agree the potential for confusion can be present. Most of the time you can figure out where they want you to go. It was a little less so going into an actual parking spot, it took a bit to see they wanted to later push me in backwards. I just revert back to common procedures, if safety is in doubt, can't see the marshaller, or confusions exists, just stop for a bit. They will then move to where you can see them or point more clearly how they want you to go.

For the most part it isn't like you are holding up a line behind you. If there is a line most of the time you can follow the guy in front, for a while anyway. I would also like to thank all the volunteers, no complaints from me.

NEVER, EVER trust the marshaller to keep you out of trouble. They're sort of like ATC in class D airspace, to assure orderly arrival. You are on your own to make sure you're not taxiing through ditch or across a cone or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    NEVER, EVER trust the marshaller to keep you out of trouble. They're sort of like ATC in class D airspace, to assure orderly arrival. You are on your own to make sure you're not taxiing through ditch or across a cone or whatever.
    well said.

To be fair, us marshallers have to watch a VERY old videotape, including Tom P. as a very young man, before our first shift. We were told that this is the last year for that tape, and a more up-to-date video will premier next year. Hopefully, these ideas will make it in to next year's training for the flight line ops folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Once you've uploaded the file, then you drag it down to the attachments section to attach it to that particular message - here's a screenshot:

Name:  dragfiles.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  76.1 KB
    Hal,

I'm doing something wrong.

I go to the Manage Download box, like you have posted. If I drag an image to any one of the three boxes there, it changes only to a picture of the image, without any options. The only way to get back to the Manage Download box it to delete that image, and then it's lost.

Help.....

Larry