Thread: Flagmen and Marshaller's Signals

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

May I offer a tip from a pilot's perspective to a marhsller or flagman?
    The pilot knows how to park the plane, ( or he should know).
    If the flagman shows the pilot where he wants him to park, the pilot can put the plane there, while the flagmen watch the wingtips and other people, etc.
    This is better than the flagman trying to drive the plane by remote control,as it were, and especilly true for tailwheel planes.

So as the pilot approaches , point to the desired parking spot, then as he gets closer give the specific directions to make the fine adjustments. And stand to the side so he can see you.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-07-2012 at 07:51 AM.

That's pretty much what I do. If it's a nose wheel, I'll just stand dead center about 20' ahead of the plane and let him come towards me.
    If it's a tail dragger, I'll stand to the side and try to get him centered well in advance.

I had to have a talk with one of our (supposedly experienced) parkers and point out that airplanes really don't want to make 90 degree sharp turns. If he'd just go where he want the plane to end up, the pilot will come to him at a comfortable radius. This pulling the guy down the aisle and then snapping him a sharp turn into the space isn't practical.