Breezy17,

I note that you are in Wisconsin, not sure what part of the state. I am a native "Cheesehead" and lived in the SE portion of the state, but have flown all over Wisconsin. I did all my PPI training at Crites Fld in Waukesha, (KUES) which is Class D. If you live in that area you will be flying in a mixed environment with lots of Class D and Class C airspace and will want to get comfortable with the radio from the start. It is easier to get started w/o that task, but you will get comfortable with it quickly and it's really helpful to gain the confidence that comes with handling the "extra" task. My instructor started my training by handling all the calls then after a couple of lessons he introduced radio tasks in gradual steps, first ground handling, then adding departure, and finally approach and landing procedures. Lots of good advice given on this thread and I would suggest you hang around a couple of airports and check-out costs and Flight Instructors a bit before you actually start-up. If your near a grass strip with Cubs and Champs or basic trainers you can get the best start in airmanship. Hartford and Palmyra are great if your near there, lots of other around the state.

Good Luck and have Fun!

Joe