Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big picture view of AV

Big picture view of AV

Name:  learning about turbine engines.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  51.7 KBName:  propeller making.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  42.1 KBAfter spending a whole week at Oshkosh, and reading over the various threads here about what’s wrong with AV, I’ll like to share a few thoughts.
    I have read the various gripes and complaints (everything from the high price of water to the ticket costs to the lamenting of how AV has drifted away from its roots. Bottom line, I don’t know any other place in the world where I can bring my family (wife and 8 year old daughter) and do/see the things that we did. An event of this size will always have some issues, and having been held for so many years, will have changes. That’s just a fact of life. Hopefully the issues are small, and the changes are ultimately for the better. But that’s a judgment call, with everyone reserving the right to differ.
    For my family the only other way to spend a week like we did would be a trip to the Big Mouse (Disney), which I know is not at all aviation related, but is a fair comparison for a family trip. I feel for value of each $ spent, a week at AV comes out on top. Ticket prices, food, and yes water prices charged are in line with what other venues ask for. For the most part we had our own water and some food, try doing that on the Big Mouse’s turf. You would not even get passed the gate carrying stuff on site.
    One big highlight for us was Kid Venture, this was my daughter’s first time to AV, and she had a blast learning about all things aviation. Her favorite activity was making the propeller at Kid Venture. As an 8-year old she knows more about aviation then most adults. What will the Big Mouse teach my daughter, how to be a Princess?
    Let’s be reflective on what we have, and what the world of GA would be without EAA. Not to say that all is perfect, but let’s see the forest from the trees. Let’s focus on what’s right (big list starting with Kid Venture) and keep working to maintain that level of excellence.
    As for the chalets and other “high roller” venues, name any activity that does not have economic separation/categorization as part of their business plan. The key is, can the organization have this separation without disenfranchising part of the population. I think EAA has been able to do this. I for one would not even had noticed the chalets on the field if I had not read the forum traffic. I am well aquatinted that the museum closed early on Thursday, and that the Eagle Hanger is off limits for the “Gathering of Eagles” event. Am I upset that I have been excluded from this area because I don’t want to pay the price of admission? No, because this is no different from other experiences in life, i.e. First Class Vs Coach, and so forth. I’m glad that people with means are willing to donate to support EAA programs that my family and I can take advantage of.
    Let’s look at the big picture: I’m fortunate to be able to fly and afford my own plane to the event. I’m fortunate to have an event like AV that let’s my daughter learn about aviation. We need young people like her to get excited about flying, and AV does just that.

She looks really happy, that's worth every penny. I have a great time at airventure, have been going since I was just a kid, and it always seems to have something to keep me coming back.

It's a shame that EAA scaled back some of the Kid's activities this year over petty stuff. Glad there was still enough to please your kid.

My son thought it was cool that he could get a tool kit of his choice after completing the "A&P Program". He went to town on that propeller, and did a fine job with it! It was also fun that he caught the guy teaching electrical troubleshooting off his guard while going through the troubleshooting steps and made a mistake. *Those* are memorable events!

~Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

Strong support of all of the above. (Although I could say that staying in a Disney Hotel is a LOT better than camping in Scholler.) Didn't notice KidVenture being scaled back. It provided at least two full days of activity for all three of my sons, to include the "too cool" teenager. I was almost frightened to see how my 10 year old got so enthused about tearing down the engine. I felt I had to warn him not to try that at home! And, yes, they were so proud of their tool sets. (Maybe they will let me play with them.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mayhemxpc; 08-01-2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: forgot picture

Due to spouse health I have not been able to attend OSH for the past few years. Could someone explain what the 'chalet' thing is? It sounds as if it was some sort of enclosure for VIPs...how could a regular EAA member get it? Or is it even possible? What is the background on this?

Not a big thing. Big air conditioned tents that you could pay money to get into to watch the airshows and what-not. Anybody could get in, as I understand it. So insignificant that I've already forgotten about it.

~Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    Could someone explain what the 'chalet' thing is? It sounds as if it was some sort of enclosure for VIPs...how could a regular EAA member get it? Or is it even possible?
    Sure, you can get one for the whole week at the member's only rate of $40,000.00. Sign up now, the waiting list is growing fast!

That's real nice, thanks for putting it in perspective. Good to hear a positive report.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    It's a shame that EAA scaled back some of the Kid's activities this year over petty stuff. Glad there was still enough to please your kid.
    Don't know what "scaled back" means. We had more activities availiable than we had time to do them all. Afterall AV is only for one week, and while we attended jsut about the whole week, we ran out of time.

A case of the glass half empty or half full?

FlyingRon - you need to step back and see just how wonderful Kid Venture is, not focus just on the negative. What other event, staffed by mainly volunteers offers such quality? Plus comes with no other expense other than the cost of the general admission?

Many thanks to all the volunteers that man the booths and tackle the challenges of putting on such a huge event. When you consider the logistics involved with getting just one of the many venues offered at AV each year off the ground from a cold start, I’m so impressed!