Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big picture view of AV

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Sure, you can get one for the whole week at the member's only rate of $40,000.00. Sign up now, the waiting list is growing fast!
    EAA's chalet, the Aviator's Club, is open to any and all EAA members...not for $40k, and certainly not what I would call cheap at $125/day or $700 for the week, but it was available to you if you wanted to enjoy some great food, AC, and great people...yes, regular people that flew in to the show spent time there...even homebuilders!

The point of this thread, though, is the kids that enjoyed KidVenture, and I haven't heard of anything but praise for that area this year. I didn't get time to visit, but from everyone that did, I hear great things, and the pictures prove that! Very cool.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Thanks from me and the 400+ KidVenture volunteers for the comments regarding KidVenture. We did reduce the number of activities this year for several reasons with $$$$ being one of them. Our goal is to expose and educate kids on as many facets of aviation as possible. As you know, aviation isn't all about being a pilot. We could not do what we have done the past couple of years without the people and money resources from United Technology, the FAA and several of other donors. Despite having a major goal of introducing people of all ages to aviation, EAA contributed little to no dollars to KidVenture. Note that the bounce things east of the Vette hangar had absolutely nothing to do with KidVenture. Despite our objections EAA went ahead with them and it resulted in one kid being taken to the hospital.

Dave Stadt
    KidVenture Vice Chairman
    Last edited by Dave Stadt; 08-02-2012 at 02:43 PM.

So, just to be sure that I understand... The greatest family firendly event, contributing to interest in the future of aviation, didn't cost participants anything (in fact, if completed they GOT things to take with them) and did so without any support from the money collected by all the things people are complaining about. Further, the only "contribution" from EAA sent a kid to the hospital. Hmmm....

This seems to remind me of other organizations we unwillingly contribute to.

In any case, I didn't know about the stand-alone nature of KidVenture and I am even more appreciative than before -- and I was already VERY appreciative.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stadt View Post
    snip. Note that the bounce things east of the Vette hangar had absolutely nothing to do with KidVenture. Despite our objections EAA went ahead with them and it resulted in one kid being taken to the hospital.

Dave Stadt
    KidVenture Vice Chairman
    I read about the bounce houses being part of KidVenture - the evening after a Chapters meeting where chapter do's and don'ts were discussed. "Bounce houses" are specifically excluded from EAA insurance coverage for Chapter events. I was thinking, "Gee, they tell us *we* can't have 'em at our events, but then they go ahead and set 'em up here...."

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Dave,
    I think Discovery World would still be interested in helping add to the 2013 line up with a themed project and at no cost to Kidventure. Let us know how we can get the ball rolling. I think there may have been some confusion around this year, I'd llike to help straighten it out as I think we have common goals.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    I read about the bounce houses being part of KidVenture - the evening after a Chapters meeting where chapter do's and don'ts were discussed. "Bounce houses" are specifically excluded from EAA insurance coverage for Chapter events. I was thinking, "Gee, they tell us *we* can't have 'em at our events, but then they go ahead and set 'em up here...."
    Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Seriously, the post from the KidVenture volunteer is very interesting.
    Last edited by Burtles; 08-02-2012 at 11:04 PM.

There was one more thing I wanted to mention, looking at the big picture. The real reason I come is to spend time with my friends. Those I know, but may only see at OSH, and the thousands more who I have not met yet. Sitting down for a break and starting conversations of intense mutual interest with people you have never seen before in your life...and may never see again. On the other hand, you just may start seeing them again every year and picking up right where you left off. Oh, there are the jerks. Every family has them. Unlike family, you can choose to ignore them and just remember the thousands of good people, volunteers, pilots of all types, and aviation enthusiasts. Sharing ideas, stories, and bringing the excitement of aviation back to life. Isn't that what it is all about?