Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Ultralight Beginner

An Ultralight Beginner

Hello Everyone,

I have always been interested in flying and after this year attending the EAA Air Venture in Oshkosh I have chosen to find out how to being flying so I have a few questions that I need answered so that I can start flying. Here are my questions:

1. Where can I start learning to fly an Ultralight? (I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin)

2. What license is required?

3. How much am I looking to spend?

4. What should I know before I start getting into Ultralight flight?

Thanks,
    Ultralight 007

There is at least one webinar on here, watch it!

To answer your questions:

1. Contrary to what you'll read in a lot of places (largely because they are out of date), there are no 2-seat "ultralight trainers". There are 2 seat LSAs (light sport aircraft) that can be used to get training that will fly very similar to ultralights that are of the same family. Also, some ultralights (hereafter called ULs) that fly like certified aircraft. The Belite, for example, is supposed to fly a lot like the Cessna 152, so getting training in a 152 would be a good idea (and a lot more available since LSAs are few and far between in flight schools).

2. No license what-so-ever for a true UL.

3. Most new ULs are in the $20K to $35K range. Used are LOTs less. I routinely see used ULs for 1/10 of the new price.

4. Everything, which unfortunately, isn't a possibility. I'd try to find a local UL club, and hang out with them. As has been said many times: aviation isn't particularly dangerous, but it is very unforgiving.

EAA Staff / Moderator Timm Bogenhagen's Avatar
    EAA Ultralight Chapter 1, The Microlite Flyers has many members from the Milwaukee area. You should consider attending their meetings and joining their chapter, you will learn alot from the members. Here is a link to their web site, http://www.eaaul1.org
    Have Fun & Fly Safe!
    Timm
    EAA 379292
    MiniMAX 1600R
    Challenger II
    HiMAX - in progress

Excellent Advice to Visit Local UL club or at least visit with some UL flyers

It appears that the UL club recommended has an 1984 Pterodactyl Ascender available for $3200. I don't know why you would spend $13,500 when you could spend much less and have as much fun. Regarding the age of the plane, I built Pterodactyl in 1979 and it flew extremely well and was in good condition until I sold it a couple of years ago (and it was not always stored indoors). If you have aspirations of becoming a "real" pilot another plane may be more suitable, but if you just want to spend time in the sky like I did, a Pterodactyl will get you there with enough money left in your pocket to buy the beer when you get back. Most true ultralights (part 103 legal) will fly for hours on a few bucks of regular auto gas, are transportable using your family car (I used a Toyota Supra), and you can store them by hanging them from the ceiling in your family garage (because they fold up).

Or you can spend $13,000 on the plane, $200 each month on a hanger, and then $8000 more for your pilots license. It was a no brainer for me, but real pilots don't give us UL pilots any credit for brains anyway. Perhaps they are right? Flying a true ultralight in calm air can be as peaceful and pleasant as watching a hawk soar on the thermals. On a not so calm day it is like trying to fly a tissue paper in a hurricane.
    Last edited by jamesofthenorthwest; 08-02-2012 at 11:54 AM.

I've been a "real" pilot for 40 years and flying ultralights for 35 years. I was an ultralight instructor under the old rule.

I live 25 miles west of Milwaukee in Pewaukee. I'd be happy to talk with you about your aviation aspirations and share whatever knowledge I have.

I have a 2-place Quicksilver Sprint II that was an ultralight trainer and is now N-numbered. I also have two single place Quicksilver MXs ultralights which I'd be willing to sell if you are interested in either of them. Both have Rotax engines. That model was the entry level ultralight for thousands of new ultralight pilots. It could be a very affordable first ultralight for you. They are relatively easy to learn to fly and very docile. You'd have little trouble selling it if you wanted to move up at some point.

Unfortunately, all my aircraft are stored right now because of a lack of local hangar space. However, if you were interested in one of the MXs, I could probably provide you some basic training in the 2-place Sprint II and then help you transition to the MX. [I can't just give you training if you are interested in a different ultralight. I am not able to charge you for training because I am no longer a current instructor under the new FAA rules.]

Whether you just want to meet and pick my brain or are interested in one of the entry level ultralights I have, I'd be happy to help in any way I can. All of us in aviation have depended on the help and encouragement of another along the way. It's not an activity that is easy to enter without some help.

-Buzz

Buzz, Let me thank you for your generous offer. Aviation needs more folks like you (too many htese days are concerned about the liability issues....) I hope Ultralight007 can take you up on your offer.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

I agree. Kudos, Buzz.

Thanks guys.

Talking about the MX got me thinking about another subject that involves the basic ultralight designs. I've started a new thread on that.

-Buzz

Pilots like you are few and far between Buzz, Thank you for offering to help this young pilot reach for the sky.
    Brie

Quote Originally Posted by taylorcraftbc65 View Post
    Pilots like you are few and far between Buzz, Thank you for offering to help this young pilot reach for the sky.
    Brie
    Brie, on my other thread I shifted the conversation to the potential of basic ultralight designs to get teens into aviating and helping build the next generation of aviation enthusiasts.

However Ultralight007 never indicated his age. I figured he was probably an adult. [His age doesn't make any difference to me. I got started at an early age and I don't see age as any barrier.] He may be "young" only in his aviation experience.

Ultralight007, how old are you if I may ask?

-Buzz