Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oxy-acetylene equipment choices

I spent much of the afternoon pricing a gas welding setup using new equipment. It actually doesn't look quite as bad as I initially thought. I was able to find an oxy/acetylene pair of new Smith 30-series regulators for $136 and the Smith AW1A handle for $103 (compared to $190 and $122, respectively, at Aircraft Spruce). I priced a setup minus tanks and cart at around $325 from an online vendor. Not sure what to invest in for check valves, however. Are simple check valves acceptable (~$14 brandname Smith), or do I need to go for those specifically marketed as flashback arrestors ($50-$75 Smith/Victor)? Any opinions on regulator mount vs torch mount?

And now that I look at more details, any recommendations on tip sizes? AW201/203/205?

I'm still keeping my eyes out, and will sleep on this purchase for a little while, but even new equipment looks more affordable than I thought.

-Tony

+1 on the Smith torch. I recently picked one up, after welding 95% of my fuselage with a Harris 15 and later the Mecco mini torch. The Smith has much better valves, a real weak spot on the Harris, and just feels like a higher quality unit. I wish I would have started with it, but live and learn. As for tips, I'd buy all 3 of those, you'll mostly use the 201 and 203 size for welding but the larger one will come in handy at times.

As for bottles- I "bought" a used set from the local Airgas place. I say buy, because in reality I just got a used set of bottles, and when they're empty I just take them in and, for the price of a fill up, trade it in for a full one. You can also start small and trade up to a bigger size for the price difference. No need to rent bottles, or to go out and purchase new ones.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Well as Tony found, New smith regs are only $60 or so each, not worth rebuilding old ones for that. And seriosuly if you want to weld a fuselage and aluminum sheet, a J-100 is a real club. If you want to work on a trailer or farm equipment a J-100 is fine though. The Harris 15 is not a bad torch, I wish it had stainless stems from the factory though. As for check valves and arrectors......they are not commonly used with small torches since the pressure ( and flow rates ) are so low that the risks are greatly reduced. Cutting or using a large torch, then a set of checks would be in order. Here is the issue, since the pressures are so low, a flashback arrestor many times wont actually sense the flashback and shut off. Check valves require higher pressure to open, and can cause the flame to pulse.

Most of the new torches have check valves built into them.

Jeff: Regarding buying vs renting tanks, my main concern with a purchase is that I'm now responsible for maintaining and storing the tanks. I really don't want to have to store partial bottles of oxygen and acetylene in the hangar until the next welding project arises, whenever that is. Otherwise I like the idea.

Check valve info duly noted. The EAA aircraft welding book I've been reading recommends arrestors, so I assumed they were a necessity. Intuitively, I would think lower pressures and flow rates would be MORE conducive to flashback. Live and learn. It looks like the AW1A does not have check valves built in, so they may be an investment to be made at some point just in case.

Onward to safety gear... I've seen eye protection recommended at a #3 to #5 tint. As I wear glasses, I'll want a face shield rather than goggles. Aircraft Spruce has one listed, with no darkness specification. Are they pretty standard (#5?) unless otherwise noted?

-Tony

If you wear glasses you will probably need stronger ones for welding. My eye doc says I need 1.50 in my bifocals (I need 1.75 to read fine print), but I have to use a 2.50 lens in my welding goggles to be able to see what I am doing.

When I got my welding tips I asked about the arrestors & Ernie recommended that I not get them, he said any little pop ruins them & then you need to buy new ones or take them out to be able to do anything, he said the checkvalves are all you need.

Mike,
    No aircraft type torches ever had check valves. As far as I know Victor is the only company using check valves in the handle on their large Ag type torches.
    -Aaron

P.S. the AS face mask is a shade 5, but you might find it to be a pain when hanging in a fuselage. Why not just put a set of cheaters in a normal welding goggle set?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    No aircraft type torches ever had check valves. As far as I know Victor is the only company using check valves in the handle on their large Ag type torches.
    You could be right, Victor is all my favorite welding store carries.

He showed me the Victor aircraft torch, it was quite a bit smaller than mine, but given the price difference between it & just buying welding tips for what I have I didn't think it was worth it. It had checkvalves on it but they might not actually come with it unless you ask for them.

Since I took the Sportair welding course last year, I have been doing everything for the farm with the torch. I like using it a lot better than my mig (which I havent used once since starting with the torch) and I have done heavier things that I used to have to borrow my buddy's arc welder for.

Mike,
    They do make "A" size check valves.......apparently to satisfy hyperactive lawyers. I have a couple sets, they are cute but are worthless. The flame flutters, pressure have to be higher, just goofy acting.