Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A funny thing happened to me on the way to or at Oshkosh...

Wow...Where to start...AirVenture is like Woodstock for pilots - there is always something to do. You just have to know where to go get it.

"Hotkosh" was very interesting...I think more happened for us out at Camp Scholler than at the air show. Our friends and family usually bring a large contingent, this year was no different, there were 18 of us. Kids playing, trips to the beer garden, meeting new people and having a great time...really all of it.

There is a reason I set my calendar from July to July. For 51 weeks out of the year, I have to be "regular" because of work, etc. But, for one week out of the year I get to geek out over airplanes, get sunburned and catch a chill in the same day, get rained on and sweated out in the same day, go to the Beer Garden and stumble back to camp, or just sit around a campfire until 2am telling stories.

A movie theatre in the middle of the woods...sure why not. Meeting and shaking hands with aviation legends such as the Tuskegee Airmen - very moving.

In 2011 - touring the 787. In 2009 - Touring the A380. Seeing just about every high profile flying machine over the last 16 years. Running into Jeff Dunham at the Rotorway Tent in 2008 and getting a picture with him. I still have the signed picture of Patty Wagstaff and I from Oshkosh 1998 hanging up in my office (brought the picture to Oshkosh 2000 to get it signed).

If you don't have a good time at Oshkosh - you're probably doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AzScottS View Post
    If you don't have a good time at Oshkosh - you're probably doing it wrong.
    YES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Baughman View Post
    YES!!!!
    +1

My son and I burst out laughing when we walked past the South African compound in Camp Scholler and they were singing "Sweet Home Alabama". I heard later it was a "Salute to America" medley.