Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: South 40 - 2nd class treatment

Quote Originally Posted by MyDogRudy View Post
    I heard they made $200,000 from the chalets
    "If" that's the case, they need to install more. Push more airpanes off the field if necessary because they can't generate that kind of cash. And with that kind of income, Helen should get her powder room in the S. 40, decorated with imported ceramic tile. All without raising fees or charging more for camping or a bottle of water.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Sorry but those "taxiways" are the emergency access points and we don't let people set up camp in them whether we are moving planes through them or not. Of course, someone put a suitcase showroom right in the middle of the one most frequently used in the past (I've been tasked with keeping that one clear when a fire chiefs car came blasting through during one of the unfortunate incidents several years ago).
    \
    Flying Ron, I took the posters comment to mean "hey, don't stand there, this is a taxiway" issue. If they did that in the Vintage Area it would be the first time ever. I did not get the inference that someone had set up camp in a taxiway. We stand around in those taxiways all the time, greeting friends, swapping lies, etc. When the scooters come, we move.

Of course, I could be wrong on this.
    Last edited by Chad Jensen; 08-02-2012 at 08:49 AM.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

We have always told people they couldn't sit/stand for long times in the taxiways. Usually it's not an issue, except during the airshow.

Sad South 40 north 40

I decided on vintage camping, but had to land on 27 and taxied forever as far south as they could put me, with no facilities in site! I asked to move to North 40 camping. Taxied forever to end up on the north side of 9/27 again no facilities! This is the worst I have seen it in 35 years of attending. The Bonanzas to Oshkosh, the Cessnas to Oshkosh, Moomeys to Oshkosh, Pipers to Oshkosh, cubs to Oshkosh, etc. take all the good camping!Very disappointed this year.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Were any chalets rented for the entire week? Were they rented for the advertised price? I bet we'll never know cause that will be kept secret....
    Again, Hightower stated that they were sold out prior to the event. You and I will never learn if there were discounts given.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    "If" that's the case, they need to install more. Push more airpanes off the field if necessary because they can't generate that kind of cash. And with that kind of income, Helen should get her powder room in the S. 40, decorated with imported ceramic tile. All without raising fees or charging more for camping or a bottle of water.
    Going with that line of thinking, let's just turn the entire flightline into high rise condo's. It worked along the beach on the Gulf Coast, so why wouldn't it work at Osh?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Going with that line of thinking, let's just turn the entire flightline into high rise condo's. It worked along the beach on the Gulf Coast, so why wouldn't it work at Osh?

Won't work....have to be timeshares as only needed one week of the year. The other 51 will be very boring!

Just to make it clear about the "move from the taxiway" issue, I was sitting in my chair about 5' inside the line drawn by the row numbers, I had been there perhaps 2 minutes when I was asked to move, and there had been no aircraft using the taxiway going north for more than half an hour; all aircraft had been going south on the other half of the taxiway because north-bound aircraft were being turned into the camp area long before getting to the row I was in. It's not a big deal, just an unnecessary intrusion.

I think what annoys me the most is the disparity in facilities from one area to another. Almost anywhere on the south side of 9-27 of the North 40 has adequate facilities reasonably spaced, but almost anywhere on the South 40 or the north side of 9-27 of the North 40 has inadequate facilities. We all pay the same to camp there, so we should all receive reasonably similar facilities. Alternatively, if we're in the "Section 8" part of the field, we should get a discount.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Facilities around the grounds will continually be upgraded as the funds are available. Shower facilities are insanely expensive, and adding them all at once is impossible without borrowing money. Paid for showers are much preferred, and as EAA is able, they will be installed. We know they are needed, and we have a "planning and zoning" meeting four or five times a year to go over sight plans and visions for each area.

It's coming...but no matter who gets what when, someone will not be happy. We know that, but we can't do it all at once.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Yeah, and it's largely determined by when you arrive. Some of the earlier guys get sent to "fond du lac" while those who arrive a bit later either get a fill in place or some of the reserved type club stuff that we've decided not to hold reserved anymore. Sorry about that. We did open up what is primarily exhibition area (past grand champions and other unusual or pristine aircraft) for parking. I'm not a big fan of reserving the rows up front for parkers and don't buy the reasons for them doing so, but that's why I'm just a worker bee and not someone in any position of authority.