Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EAA airventure 2012 Build Idea

There are similar, but simpler projects. The Legal Eagle is one that comes to mind right away.

http://www.betterhalfvw.com/
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

An unrelated idea- EAA radio has a bunch of web cams set up around the grounds. Have them put one up in the workshop and stream this live during the show. I bet it gets more viewers than the Blue Dot Cam.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

I like the idea of the build and of the webcam. I especially like the idea of a plans built aircraft, we need to show that people are still out there building them. If the entire build can't be done in one week, so what? Get it as far as possible and bring it back the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    The Legal Eagle is one that comes to mind right away.
    That was the first thing that came to my mind as well. A couple of yrs back when L.M. brought the Double Eagle to OSH and parked it in the LSA mall amongst the fiberglass eggs, it held it's own in the dead grass award. There is no doubt a lot of interest in a simple low cost airplane.

Maybe if someone wants to do one in the ultralight section........

Webcam is a good idea.....I like it. So far I think the toughest part will be getting enough people to be dedicated to the project. It will take people that work at a production like pace, not standing around drinking coffee.

A Simple Glider?

How about a glider? Lots less work AND someone as young as 14 can fly it! We need to get our youth involved. BTW, EAA adding AMA membership for youth EAA members is a great idea, too. Just a thought. -Ron

There as been a lot to consider with this, and the more I dig the more "sticky" the situation becomes. Project storage after the event became an issue, as well as the legal status of the aircraft. Cost was another issue. Well this afternoon I was cleaning off a shelf that has a Righter drone engine on it.....and the light came on! WWII era drones are built the same as any wood,metal rag and tube homebuilt......just smaller, cheaper, and easier to store or display. Currently working on getting a set of the original drawings for the OQ-2 drone to see if its do-able.