Thread: EAA airventure 2012 Build Idea

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

EAA airventure 2012 Build Idea

Ok I know I have seen the idea tossed around a lot, and have talked with others about it, but would anyone be interested in a week long build of a homebuilt done durring AV?? In the homebuilding BEC there is a good group of professionals from the metalworking, covering and woodworking groups, not to mention a whole lot of other people in the area that week. The last couple years I have been thinking of this in a way, and keeping coming back to the Wittman W-10 tailwind as a candidate. It would be a lot of work.....but I honestly think it could be done in a week with a big enough crew of the right people. There is a local fellow who has built a number of them, and has nice jigs I have been told. With the equipment out at the field, in the weeks hangar ad at local private hangars everything needed is there.....Hmmmmmmmm who would sign up?

Sounds like a cool idea...I've just started building my W-10, and would certainly like to see if there is interest...
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Hasn't that been done in the past? Chris Heinz and crew built a Zodiac....Task Research and crew built a Silhouette. I think one of the pop rivet aluminum boxes has the best chance of success.....Although you can sign me up for 1 full day on the tailwind project and 1 hr/day for the other days. I think welding out the fuselage is going to hog up a lot of time.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Hasn't that been done in the past? Chris Heinz and crew built a Zodiac.
    Yes, at the 1976 convention, took them 8 days

http://www.oshkosh365.org/saarchive/...1976_10_06.pdf

A Tailwind in 7 days is ambitious but it does sound doable. Start out with all the materials and jigs in place. Cheat a little and start with one of the pre-cut tubing kits from Cartesian. Cheat a little more and get started on the Saturday before the show starts. I'd be a little concerned about welding outside in the breeze but you could figure out a way around that.

Another option- a number of high school groups in the past year have taken on projects building RV-12 kits. You could get a group of high-schoolers together for the show and have them build one in a week (under supervision of course.)

I already have a full time gig as a human traffic cone at the show but I could sneak away to help out a bit.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    A Tailwind in 7 days is ambitious but it does sound doable. Start out with all the materials and jigs in place. Cheat a little and start with one of the pre-cut tubing kits from Cartesian. Cheat a little more and get started on the Saturday before the show starts.
    You'll also need some shortcuts for building the wood wings. Steaming and bending rib capstrip and waiting for glue to cure are time consuming processes. Have to come up with a jig for every rib...lol.

Assembly time of a pop rivet aluminum structure is only hindered by how much people are getting in your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    Cheat a little and start with one of the pre-cut tubing kits from Cartesian.
    Problem with that ($,$$$) kit is it's based off the Spruce plans, and there are several errors that need to be corrected...good suggestion if someone had the time to pre-cut tubes, corrected for the errors though!
    Last edited by Chad Jensen; 08-11-2011 at 10:04 AM.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
    Yes, at the 1976 convention, took them 8 days

http://www.oshkosh365.org/saarchive/...1976_10_06.pdf
    I think Chris Heintz is a repeat offender.....seems they built a CH 701 at an early '80's convention and if my fuzzy memory recalls correctly, they have done this a few other times.