Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh then and now

let's see...out the gate...drive to 41 and turn South...Deb and I begin a discussion about Oshkosh 2013...so I guess our countdown has began as well

We were there from Saturday the 21st to yesterday morning...and had a great time. This was our 5th consecutive Oshkosh and each one has been better than the others. Is the Event better?...probably not...but we have refined our routines so we get more out of the visit each year. We do enjoy the air shows. The Koontz/Franklin Cub acts would have been so much better if they would not park "Duggie" right in the center of the action. These are very low and very slow acts that spent much of their time lower than and in front of the DC 3.

We had a great time and will be back next year...TGLW

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    Just got to find out for sure what the dates are.
    2013: Mon, Jul 29 - Sun, Aug 4

2014: Mon, Jul 28 - Sun, Aug 3
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    If we all quit going, to "wait it out" for things to get better, it won't. We have to keep going & invite people, let the people know what they're missing.
    I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. You don't get a big greedy organization like the EAA to change by handing them even more money. Frankly, I'd be embarrassed if I would have invited someone to this year's SnoozeVenture.

Unfortunately, if attendance drops they'll just charge more for vendors, admission and camping, just to keep the cash cow alive for another year. This year was proof of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    2013: Mon, Jul 29 - Sun, Aug 4

2014: Mon, Jul 28 - Sun, Aug 3

Thanks Eric.
    Already planning the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. You don't get a big greedy organization like the EAA to change by handing them even more money. Frankly, I'd be embarrassed if I would have invited someone to this year's SnoozeVenture.

Unfortunately, if attendance drops they'll just charge more for vendors, admission and camping, just to keep the cash cow alive for another year. This year was proof of that.

AAHH, I dunno. Maybe a little "nudge" or tap on the shoulder to Hal, Chad, or even Rod. Maybe suggest to them that, although the economy sort of sucks in some places, if AV was more affordable (read cheaper) I do think more folks would come.

I know the hangars weren't as busy last year as they were the year before, and even less busy this year. I've been there the full week the past 10 years. But, "they" say we have greater attendance each year? I'm not sure how they count people. If it's by the number of people going through the gate, I count for about 5 people, I go in & out about that many times a day. <g>

We have to support OUR organization. But it'll have to be in a constructive, positive way instead of a complaining, negative way. You know honey will attract a lot more flies than vinegar.

I own my own business, I'm just a little bit less expensive than the other plumbers & electricians in the area. I'm covered up almost all the time. Some, NOT ALL, of the other, more expensive guys aren't really all that busy. I'm going out on a limb here but I'd say although my profit margin is smaller, my profits are in the ballpark of the expensive guys. I'd like to see EAA try my approach sometime.
    But who knows, maybe they're actually trying to run the little, poor, broke guys off? I guess time will tell.

Wish I could plan that far ahead, malexander. That's one of the drawbacks of working for an airline -- I won't know my schedule for July 2013 until June 23rd, 2013. Unless I can get vacation for that week. Which can be canceled for training events. Or low staffing. Or a full moon.

I've lost money on room reservations twice because I had to cancel. Can't afford to keep doing that; I need the money to build a plane so I can fly to OSH. If I can get the time off...
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

There have been a lot of conversations lately about the changes at EAA and Airventure, I have even participated in a few of them.Yes things are changing, but everything changes. I would imagine that the expenses of staging Airventure are huge and constantly climbing. I don't think things like luxury boxes and higher booth fees are being done to line pockets, but to keep costs for attendees as low as possible. I shudder to think of how much money is spent on insurance for the show for the week.

As for myself, I had my best week ever at Oshkosh. I arrived on 7-21 and departed on 7-29. I sweated through the heat and dodged raindrops (and mud) during the storms. I saw thousands of airplanes, many of them homebuilts. I talked to lots of people about flying and spent time catching up with friends. I spent too much money on hats and shirts. But for me the best part was that I got to say hi to Bob Hoover and shake his hand. And I can't wait to do it all again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Wish I could plan that far ahead, malexander. That's one of the drawbacks of working for an airline -- I won't know my schedule for July 2013 until June 23rd, 2013. Unless I can get vacation for that week. Which can be canceled for training events. Or low staffing. Or a full moon.

I've lost money on room reservations twice because I had to cancel. Can't afford to keep doing that; I need the money to build a plane so I can fly to OSH. If I can get the time off...

I certainly understand that.

I am just curious as to how many of you voiced your opinions directly to EAA as well as here? My point is that I don't get that warm and fuzzy feeling that these forums are truly monitored by the people who can affect change. Things do change , and you can not stop progress. The economy has been terrible, a lot of discretionary income got flushed down the toilet over the last few years with the housing collapse. I for one could not afford to go this year because of a general down turn affecting the company I started 20 years ago. That does not excuse EAA from what I believe is completely and utterly stepping over the people that have formed this community. My point is that complaining here is probably going unheard and what is being see is being discounted as a small portion of the AV audience. I will always be a member regardless ( and maybe that is what the board is counting on) because I believe in what the people stand for, I will even attend AV if all of my other obligations are met. AV (the event itself) is not what I signed up for. I signed up to be with like minded people and the friendships that would come with it. I TRULY believe in what all of you are committed to.
    Feedback@eaa.org. Voice your opinion, please.........
    Thanks to all of you for taking the time to read this
    Rick

My wife, four year old and six year old arrived at camp Scholler for my 37th trip to Oshkosh a bit later than planned, noon on Monday. By 1:00 my brother and I were sitting on some hot bleachers watching the Warbirds in Review of Glacier Girl. After that we caught the new Warbird Adventure Tram tour (FREE) and had a very entertaining ride through the whole warbird area. A great way to see it all, as I have not walked all the trainer rows in years. Heading towards camp we strolled by Homebuilt Headquarters and saw Paul hopping into Red One with that twinkle of happiness still in his eyes. Later in the week we walked the field of yellow cubs, and went back in time through the vintage area. My 6 year old daughter wanted her picture in front of a blue and yellow Staggerwing. The owner saw us, and asked her if she wanted to sit in it. She managed a giant smile and a nod, and was sitting inside seconds later. I found nothing has changed about the "Spirit of Oshkosh". The spirit is in the people and the planes, not the commercial rows...at least to me.

I have seen the changes, almost all of them. Some I do not like, but I accept that with "progress" comes change. Some will argue that what the EAA has done with all the sponsors is not progress. Bottom line is they have built a very attractive product, and advertisers want to give them money to be part of it. It has certainly pushed what I care about further from show center. The upshot? Those things are still there and there are less crowds in those areas now! I remember a time before trams, before Warbirds in Review, before the hugely successful Kidventure, before there was any decent options for food on the field. There are many things I liked the old way, but I guess I still go for the three main things I care about. Family, Friends, Flying machines. When you get down to it the EAA has nothing to do with the first two, and they are a big big part of it for me.

I still find the the random acts of kindness encountered by "strangers" at the convention to be the most amongst any group one can meet. I thank the guy that picked up me and my kind of sagging four year old one evening with his empty golf cart. It made my sons night!

My biggest complaint this year would be the heat, and although some others here may think so, I cannot find where that is the fault of the EAA. To me the spirit is alive and well, a bit more spread out but alive and well. Having both of my kids there and seeing them enjoy it as much as I did at their age made it one of the best ever. We waved goodbye to the planes as we pulled out Sunday morning, sad to leave, but already planning next year.
    Speaking of then and now (and spirit):
    Left, me with the EAA's first Spirit at Oshkosh around 1976 (before the commemorative tour in 1977).
    Right, my son with EAA's second Spirit in 2012 at Pioneer Airport during Kidventure. Where did those 35 years go?
    Name:  mespirit.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  65.3 KBName:  Oshkosh Village-20120728-00324.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  92.9 KB
    Last edited by glider90; 07-30-2012 at 08:11 PM.