Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh then and now

The sad decline of Osh.

Quote Originally Posted by wyoranch View Post
    I am just curious as to how many of you voiced your opinions directly to EAA as well as here? My point is that I don't get that warm and fuzzy feeling that these forums are truly monitored by the people who can affect change. Things do change , and you can not stop progress. The economy has been terrible, a lot of discretionary income got flushed down the toilet over the last few years with the housing collapse. I for one could not afford to go this year because of a general down turn affecting the company I started 20 years ago. That does not excuse EAA from what I believe is completely and utterly stepping over the people that have formed this community. My point is that complaining here is probably going unheard and what is being see is being discounted as a small portion of the AV audience. I will always be a member regardless ( and maybe that is what the board is counting on) because I believe in what the people stand for, I will even attend AV if all of my other obligations are met. AV (the event itself) is not what I signed up for. I signed up to be with like minded people and the friendships that would come with it. I TRULY believe in what all of you are committed to.
    Feedback@eaa.org. Voice your opinion, please.........
    Thanks to all of you for taking the time to read this
    Rick
    My email to them.... fwiw :-(

As a 20 year EAA'r, and and Experimental Aircraft Builder, I am truly saddened with the current direction of Airventure.

My disappointments are as follows:

1- The high-priced EAA 'chalet' and other sponser 'chalets' are an eyesore, displace the show planes along the flight line, ruin any panaramic views of aircraft, block the view of the flightline, and most importantly make if *very* clear that the EAA values their well-heeled 'members' more than the majority membership of long time EAA'rs who built and founded this organization. This class distinction is disgusting.

2- the relocation of the photo-platform from show center - why? because it ruined the chalet's view??

3- The sound system was ill-conceived and *much* too loud. One couldn't even hear the engines over the silly soundtracks. It appears that the EAA is now trying to appeal to the *non* flying general public, to draw ticket sales as the actual pilot attendee numbers appear to be declining.

4- The Homebuilt camping area has never been upgraded with proper showers or amenities - why has it not been updated as the North 40 has been? This group is the *Core* of the EAA, and the reason for Airventure in the first place. The reason the forums are there. The reason that flying can be made affordable.

5- The aviation vendors are decreasing in numbers and being replaced by mattress salesmen. Terrible. This is supposed to be the worlds "greatest aviation celebration". I have heard from many aviation vendors that the EAA is increasing the rent to the point where it is no longer feasible. Only mass-market product mfg's will be able to afford displays if this keeps up.

What is happening to 'my' fly-in? As a long-time EAA member, I am saddened to see the show decline. Eventually it will be just another AOPA/industry show. Not the Eaa

Sincerely,
    Pete

Good feedback everyone, keep them coming! We (the leadership team) spent yesterday afternoon in a conference room reading through all of the feedback received thus far, so I guarantee the feedback email is working, and they are being read and listened to.

Many of us do monitor the forums on a regular basis, including Rod when he has a few moments. This is a great place to voice concerns and celebrate wins, and we DO see them.

I can address a couple of items briefly from this thread...the attendance was down 6% at 508,000 for the week. The vendor hangars...they made the vendor count appear to be lower because Microsoft did not show (cancelled at the last minute), Sporty's chose to move outside the buildings to a tent where they reported record sales and visits, and a couple others moved outside. That left significant open space in the buildings. The vendor count was actually up this year with more and more vendors choosing outside locations. Aircraft Spruce reported record sales as well...every time I went back over there to get more catalogs for the homebuilders hangar, I had to squeeze through the people crowding the counter.

All that being said, it was a solid AirVenture, and for my first on staff (11th year in a row coming though), I thoroughly enjoyed it!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

How many (of the 800) vendors are aviation related? Increasing or decreasing from past years?
    Do aviation vendors pay the same rate?

As a former airport based aviation business owner, I saw how airports have leased land space to non-aviation purposes because they always have more money.

I hope EAA does not promote this trend as well.

Also, how many "core EAA members" (not the ones who join for lower camp rates) attend Airventure each year?
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 08-02-2012 at 06:41 PM.

My two cents...
    I have been attending EAA in Oshkosh since 1974 and camping in Scoller since 1980. What I have seen over the years, is that EAA has been trying to accomodate the needs and desires of ENTIRE families during the event. True, we all don't like the same things, we have seen changes we like and some that we don't. Line up ten people and ask them what they want most from the event and you will probably get twelve answers. The idea as I see it if you want to come and spend the week and bring the family, you will need something to make the entire family happy all of the time. Something for the spouse, something for the teenagers and something for the little kids. Lets not forget both the flying and non-flying spectators. What do the corporate sponsors provide? CASH! That is how things happen today. If you like to stay for the week and bring the family, ask them what will keeep their interest. In the "good old days" they had hawkers selling Coke. Only water was out of a fountain and warm with an odor. Trams were scarce. There were two gates with two admission fees. One for the credentialed aviation people and one for the general public. There were more volunteer positions available including garbage truck pick up and cleaning the showers. The showers had only cold water from a tank on the roof heated by the sun. There were no flush toilets. You had to bring your own toilet paper when camping because you never knew when they would run out or be cleaned. The camp area used to be a hay field that was cut just prior to the show and the stubble could poke a hole in your air mattress. Along the frontage road was a corn field. There were some ponds in the campground. (not good idea for kids)
    Things were relatively expensive then also. Oh, ya, there was a Miss and Mrs EAA contest until the gender cops got excited.Yup, things are a changing...As I see it, it can get bigger, it can get smaller, but it can't stay the same. If you don't like what you see, don't see it! You cant tell me that with everything available that you can't find an alternative interest to participate in. Oshkosh is not and never has been about airplanes. It is about the experience, the people, the friends and the unique comaraderie that you can only find here. I don't like everything about the event and have certainly voiced my complaints, but I WILL be back. Anything that I find unbearable, I VOTE with my feet. I hope to see similar enthusiasts there next year.

Avinuts, from the brother of "Miss Congeniality, Miss EAA Pageant 1980" (first runner up), I would say you have it pretty well put above. Airventure is a better family value now than it was when I was a kid, and still has all the stuff us aviation geeks want. I also had a close friend that was a member of the Raiders back then (the volunteer trash crew).
    Last edited by glider90; 08-02-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Well, since avinuts mentioned the greater family participation, my wife kept raving about how many women of all ages she saw present this year. She swears it's because they installed the flush toilets on Hangar C; in prior years, she'd hold it until she could catch a bus to the museum. She's a thrilled participant.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Banned

Don't sniff the red herring

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    I guarantee the feedback email is working, and they are being read
    They are just trying to keep the complaints from the public.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    How many (of the 800) vendors are aviation related?
    I love this question. Hightower reports that some vendors got record numbers this year - keep in mind that if they are new, this is a record.

It is unfortunate that they make you walk extra miles and see mattresses if you really just want to find a good headset.

If this was a "solid" Oshkosh I'd hate to see a bad one! Worst attendance in years. Volunteer morale at rock-bottom. Obvious gaping holes in the exhibit hangars, despite the noticeable increase in non-aviation vendors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmutz2 View Post
    I love this question. Hightower reports that some vendors got record numbers this year - keep in mind that if they are new, this is a record.

It is unfortunate that they make you walk extra miles and see mattresses if you really just want to find a good headset.
    Aircraft Spruce new? Sporty's new? Gimme a break. The economy hasn't recovered, and the gate numbers are more realistic than a few years ago. It was a good show.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem