Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airshow complaints (obstructed views and loud music)

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Fenwick View Post
    Speaking of the sound system (and feedback), I believe it was Wednesday night (possibly Thursday) where there was a pronounced AC hum coming out of the speakers in the Vintage area (and I assume everywhere else).
    Yeah, that happened on Thursday night and it was pretty nasty. Luckily we were sitting up til midnight with adult beverages so by the time we went to bed it was done.
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website

Ya' all are missing the best fly in on the east coast every Father's Day weekend for the last 23 years at Shreeveport North (62PA). All you can eat Prime Rib on Friday and all day picnic on Saturday (Prime Rib - $25.00 and picnic $15) Camping is $15 per night and bunkhouse is $25 per night. 2600 foot lighted grass strip and Olympic size swimming pool free to all attendees. Water is only $1.00 a bottle unless you want to walk down to the restaurant where is is free.... Not crowded and no airplanes parked in your way... (average 150 on the ground at any one time with lots of arrivals and departures). See you all next year.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    Ya' all are missing the best fly in on the east coast every Father's Day weekend for the last 23 years at Shreeveport North (62PA).

Okay, so how about a sub forum where we can list fly ins other than AV?

I'm thinking 3-4 smaller fly ins a yr might be a good alternative......so keep em coming.

The other thing I noticed, when I went to take a panorama from a Nikon photo platform, there was nothing worth taking a panorama of. I could see probably 5 airplanes and a bunch of buildings / temporary structures in the way of everything. I'd love to see an areal photo from this year just to see how many planes actually showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastian74 View Post
    The other thing I noticed, when I went to take a panorama from a Nikon photo platform, there was nothing worth taking a panorama of. I could see probably 5 airplanes and a bunch of buildings / temporary structures in the way of everything. I'd love to see an areal photo from this year just to see how many planes actually showed up.
    Come hang out in Vintage around Row 75...the view/panorama was great down there. I had a prime airshow seat under the wing of my Tri-Pacer.
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website

Those new speakers were not a great idea - far too loud if sat anywhere near them and just too big. Excessive use of smoke during the flying displays reducing visibilty for the crowds and probably the pilots as well (potential safety issue) Smoke often drifted across onto the crowd as well which is not pleasant. Over the past couple of years I have really enjoyed the night airshow but this year the line up was weak especially after the withdrawal of the jet sailplane (also no Beech 18 which is always a great display) Increasing costs on getting to the show are also a concern - airtravel from the UK is not cheap these days and even basic motel accommodation is nothing short of extortion.

Thumbs Up The buzz on the "BUZZ"

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Fenwick View Post
    Speaking of the sound system (and feedback), I believe it was Wednesday night (possibly Thursday) where there was a pronounced AC hum coming out of the speakers in the Vintage area (and I assume everywhere else). While I was horizontal on my cot, googling for a phone number to call....you could hear someone moving a mike, then the hum stopped (you could hear cheers up and down the line)....then it started again. This went back and forth for a few minutes and finally someone must have gotten the idea that a blast from a 12 guage shotgun will take care of the problem. This was AFTER 10p, and was continuous since the end of "normal broadcasting" after the airshow. Boo Hissssssssssssss.
    Larry, all... it was Thursday evening... and the problem was with a piece of audio distribution equipment that decided to malfunction late after the air show. As with everything else, we try to resolve a sittuation as quickly as we can once we are made aware of it. I was able to bypass the offending gear once I knew what it was (that's why it stopped, then started... then stopped again). FYI, the main P.A. system is left powered on all night intentionally in case any emergency messages need to be announced. We would only turn it off during electrical storms where lightning is a possibility, but generally that is done after an emergency message is announced. Then the system is back on again as soon as the storm clears. We do try to be as ready as possible for all contingencies. The faulty equipment, BTW is being repaired and will probably be upgraded and replaced.

IF you happen to experience any other problems or just need information at Airventure, let me share this number with you all... it is 920-230-7800... it's a direct line to EAA's Comm Center located at Air Show Center... we are staffed 24 hours during Airventure. If we can't help you chances are we can find somebody else who can!

Let me apologize for the nuisance you had to endure that Thursday evening and please let me reassure you that when things do go wrong, we make every effort to correct them as soon as is humanly possible.

Again, the number at the Comm Center is 920-230-7800
    Hope to see you return to Airventure for many years to come!

Respectfully,

Larry Mackowiak, AKA Green 5,
    callsign:"McGyver"
    EAA Comm Center
    The "Green Gang"

Because in previous years their stupid burnout made so much smoke that it was impossible to see the subsequent acts.

Well everyone has their preference but we like row 90 plus or minus a few. Just south of the speakers (quiet), no planes parked in front, smaller crowd, and close to the run up and take off for 36, and the landings also happen right in front of us. We mainly like the lack of the loud speakers blasting us for the entire week. L
    No matter how far you push the envelope; its still stationary!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Lyons View Post
    Well everyone has their preference but we like row 90 plus or minus a few. Just south of the speakers (quiet), no planes parked in front, smaller crowd, and close to the run up and take off for 36, and the landings also happen right in front of us. We mainly like the lack of the loud speakers blasting us for the entire week. L
    Sort of what I been thinking. I figured there were other areas to watch from.
    Personally, I don't watch the airshow. After one or two acts, they're all pretty much the same thing. It's a good time to "shop" the vendors....................and people watch.
    It's amazing, and amusing, how much crap people can and will carry around.