Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Attendance down this year?

I like a beer now and then but was sort of bummed when I found out you could get it on the grounds now. To me, that was one of the big differences in AV vs SnF. I always felt EAA was more family oriented.<shrug> Guess I was wrong.

I can't get out of EAA, I'm a lifetime member. I don't want out either. I'd like to know how I can make a difference. I don't think you make a difference by quitting or giving up, that just makes you a quitter. I think constructive questions with honest solutions would make more of a difference than just griping about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    now, that's interesting. not enough top-name bands or comics, but concerned the focus has drifted off aviation? hmmm.
    Jeff Dunham is aviation related!

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    I like a beer now and then but was sort of bummed when I found out you could get it on the grounds now. To me, that was one of the big differences in AV vs SnF. I always felt EAA was more family oriented.<shrug> Guess I was wrong.

I can't get out of EAA, I'm a lifetime member. I don't want out either. I'd like to know how I can make a difference. I don't think you make a difference by quitting or giving up, that just makes you a quitter. I think constructive questions with honest solutions would make more of a difference than just griping about everything.
    Myself and many other members have made a ton of constructive questions/ criticism over the last 2 years. It goes completely unnoticed from what I can tell. I very rarely see any EAA staff on here except for Hal and I think if he could make everyone happy he would but he is only one man. Let's see some higher ups come on here and reply.. Maybe a board member or two ? My membership expires tomorrow.

I think malexander is right, I'll always be a member because hey, it's still awesome! I can't say I agree with everything EAA is doing, but I will still return to Oshkosh every year. It's just too much fun not to go!
    Mark

2003 RANS S-10
    2011 RANS S-6S
    Zenith Cruzer

www.aircraftstickers.com Very cool aircraft stickers. Vans, RANS, Kitfox...more!

Quote Originally Posted by s10sakota View Post
    I think malexander is right, I'll always be a member because hey, it's still awesome! I can't say I agree with everything EAA is doing, but I will still return to Oshkosh every year. It's just too much fun not to go!

That's one of the reasons I continue to go, it's just a lot of fun. You really don't have to spend THAT much money either.

I did the math when I got home. Round trip from OKC, 2 adults & 2 18 yr old students, pulling a 38' 5th wheel camper, camping fees, gate fees, fuel was $3000.00, for 11 days. That was splurging once in a while & eating lunch on the grounds. I'm not sure of all the vacations one could go on for that long on that "little" amount of money. I don't figure groceries because I'm going to eat whether I'm home or away. It's all in the planning. If I feel something is outrageously priced (pop, ice cream cones, etc) I don't buy it. We eat a good breakfast at the camper, and a good supper when I return at the end of the day. Lunch & junk food is optional, I just won't give the vendors the satisfaction of screwing me. I think most of us, NOT ALL (medical reasons) could probably go without a noon time meal. I know I don't want the burdon of carrying anything, so I'll do without. A lot of folks don't mind carrying a backpack, if so, & you HAVE to have junk or lunch, take your own.
    I guess the bottom line is to make a budget & stick to it. I'm the worlds worst at this, but I did it. Paid cash for the entire trip, including purchasing the entire Rans S19 firewall aft kit. All within budget set 6 months in ago.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hkyplr18 View Post
    I very rarely see any EAA staff on here except for Hal and I think if he could make everyone happy he would but he is only one man.
    I appreciate the nod, kkyplr18, I really do. And I hope I'm not being immodest when I say that you're right. But don't forget stalwarts like Zack and Chad, too. Yes, all of us have been a little quiet lately - for the last 6 weeks or so, anything that isn't absolutely vital to Convention inevitably gets prioritized lower, for better or worse. Anyway, you should all know that I report on what I call "notable threads" up through my management every week, for the explicit purpose of ensuring that your voices are heard. Not every senior leader here reads every post in every thread on every forum, but my boss and I make sure that they see the ones that they need to. You may agree or disagree with the actions that are taken, if any, in response, but your voices are heard.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Anyone know if its possible to cancel an EAA membership?
    Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    All they will do is take you off auto-renewal.
    This isn't true. If you want to cancel your membership, it'll be canceled, and, if you choose, the prorated balance of your annual dues will be refunded.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    But don't forget stalwarts like Zack and Chad, too.
    Mea culpa - I neglected to mention our VP of IT, John Carrier, who regularly chimes in on questions about wifi, cell coverage, parking, etc. John's a key contributor and does an enviable job of participating here. My apologies for excluding him - it was just a touch of post-Convention sleep deprivation.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Hal, ain't this fun!
    Guys now have a whole year to complain about bottled water costing $3, until it is time to go for next year Airventure. You weenies ought to go see some of the old John Wayne Flying Leatherneck type movies, or Pappy Boyington ones. You'll never hear them complaining about not having cheap enough water. I once had diner with Pappy and I didn't see him drink any water, at least not water by itself.

One thing the debate about water prices and other costs has done, is apparently replace the complaints about parking. I don't see any complaints yet about parking here. Did anyone encounter the Wicked Witch of the North 40 this year?
    I flew into FLD Sat., since I needed to drive to APPL on Sun night so needed to get a rent a car. It would have been so easy and kind of fun to fly into Osh via Fisk on Sat, or even Sun morn, hardly any traffic, but then I would have had to fly out to FLD on Sun afternoon so not as convenient.

As for food prices, I am sure they are no more than you'd pay at a college football game or car race, of movie theater, or most other events. I can't say how much food is at the local tractor pull or dog fighting gala , haven't been to them. I got a brat sandwich and Pepsi for $7.20 tax inc total and that doesn't seem too bad. I don't eat breakfast at EAA and rarely dinner so it is just lunch and not a significant part of the total cost of attending. I do wish the food could be a little better, there must be a state law in Wisconsin against having Dr. Pepper or even Coke, but nothing I can't live with. If I had 10 people to feed it might be different.

I have been an EAA member for 30 years, and come to Osh every year. I wish there were some changes like not having your ears assaulted for 15 min by the kid in the F-18 or have oil smoke blown on the crowd by the two guys in the Eagles, but I an not about to cancel my membership, not until they get to the days when it is all jets and chalets, and little of other kinds of flying.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-31-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Anyone know if its possible to cancel an EAA membership?
    I let my membership lapse years ago and still this year received paper junkmail (your dollars at work) begging me to renew. The letter did say I could cancel at any point in the year with a refund.