Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TIG Welding a Fuselage-Insight needed

Hey Neil:
    The Skybolt is on its gear but in my hangar in N. Fla while I live in S. Fla. Still trying to sell my house in S. Fla so I only get to the hangar once a month for a couple of days. This has been going on for the past 5 years. When I'm up there I work on it, when I'm down south I work on my RV9A which is closer to completion. I don't recommend working on 2 planes at the same time to anyone. On top of that, from 2006-2008, I worked at a shop and restored 2 Stearmans and a Great Lakes. My RV is almost ready for paint.
    Allen Rice

Skybolt
    RV9A
    Pietenpol

It would be nice if Aaron or someone else would take Charlie's pictures and mark them up to show where the problems are. I can see that they are a little bit rough but they look about like mine. I know what really good pro welds look like, especially when done on stainless tubing and pipe. They're really pretty, almost like someone put them on with caulking gun. But what I'd like to see is what an acceptable aircraft weld looks like even if it is not a near-perfect professional weld.It would also be nice to review the sequence for the welds in a cluster so that distortion in minimized.
    Last edited by chintonmd; 08-27-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chintonmd View Post
    It would be nice if Aaron or someone else would take Charlie's pictures and mark them up to show where the problems are. I can see that they are a little bit rough but they look about like mine. I know what really good pro welds look like, especially when done on stainless tubing and pipe. They're really pretty, almost like someone put them on with caulking gun. But what I'd like to see is what an acceptable aircraft weld looks like even if it is not a near-perfect professional weld.It would also be nice to review the sequence for the welds in a cluster so that distortion in minimized.
    Actually I had hoped to do exactly that and mark up the pictures, unfortunately photoshop was not working for me and I was running out of time ( as usual ). However this might be a good lead in to homebuilt aircraft welding 201 webinar type deal.......who would be interested?

Webinar sounds good to me.
    Allen Rice

Skybolt
    RV9A
    Pietenpol

+1 on the webinar.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

...including how to grind stuff down for a "do over."

Not that I could do one jot better, mind you - I think the statute of limitations on welding skills has long passed for me! Happily, my plane is all tube and gusset for that very reason.

I don't know about tons and tons of practice being needed. When I was learning to weld a looonnnnggg time ago the Ag teacher had me run beads down some flat stock in straight lines about four inches apart. When I could make a decent bead that way it got a lot easier for angles as curves, since I knew not only what right looked like, but what it felt like to make it.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I think you should do it Aaron. I can always learn more, and welcome the opportunity to do so.

I'd LOVE a webinar on welding

I would definitively like to see more articles about Tig welding in Sport Aviation magazine. I've found some good info on the Miller site; http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/articles/Best-Practices-for-GTA-Welding-of-4130-Chrome-Moly-Tubing.
    I would also enjoy reading the TIG welding procedures and inspection criteria used by a tube and fabric aircraft manufacturer such as American Champion. Everything that I've read seems to be in agreement concerning joint preparation but there's very little about what is good enough, what is acceptable and factors such as penetration. Thanks for sharing Charlie and getting the conversation started.

Likewise, as a very novice welder, I would love to have that information as well.