Thread: WW-II Veterans in North 40

WW-II Veterans in North 40

We are fortunate to again this year have my Dad camping with us in the N40 for the second year in a row. He just turned 90 in March, was in the Pacific in WWII, and Oshkosh has become a highlight of his year.

It got us wondering last night though if he might be the oldest N40 camper this year. Just wondering if there are any others from his generation in North 40 this year and if so let us know where you're camped or stop by and say hi to us (we're in Row 511 camped with N310BA). Thought if there are a few others here too it might be fun to get together for dinner one evening and just listen to these guys tell stories.

Vin, I'm sure you are aware of the special Veterens programs on Friday.. Is your dad going to go on the flight to DC to see the sites? Im sure some others will chime in on this soon..and thank your father for his service..My dad was aslo a South Pacific Veteran during the war...He passed away in 1986 at the age of 70...I salute you all..

Vin, if your dad had anything at all to do with aviation during his service, we'd love to talk to him for EAA's oral history program, "Timeless Voices of Aviation." Our booth/tent is located in the Warbirds area, right next the gray EAA Raffle Ticket booth and the Fightertown Cafe. We are just past the re-enactment area. If your dad is interested, we'd love to interview him about his WWII experiences. You can stop by the tent, or give me a call at 920-410-5526. I'd send a DVD copy of the interview to him in the mail in the weeks following AirVenture.

Please thank him for his service!

Cheers,

Zack Baughman

Thanks Zack, we thought we'd stop by the booth today. Dad was in the amphibs from May '44 - Dec '45 but wasn't a pilot. He does talk about hauling lots of steel plates ashore on his LCT which was used to make runways/taxiways. Lots of great stories and we never get tired of hearing them.

He is scheduled on an honor flight out of South Carolina in November. We are hoping to be here Friday so he can participate, he marched in the parade last year but right now looks like we may have to fly out Friday morning because of my work schedule.

Vin

Hi Vin,
    It sounds as if your dad has some pretty interesting stories, even if they are not strictly aviation related. If he's willing to do an interview, we can squeeze one in on Thursday. Just stop by the booth and schedule it with my volunteers or I.

Cheers,

Zack