Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sporty's Complete Flight Training Course

Sporty's Complete Flight Training Course

Did anyone else have trouble completing this? I know I did. The video series is not enough for the practice tests that you have to score 80% or higher on - twice.
    But I'm not going to just sit around and complain. If you know of a good way to train for the test (besides memorizing the FARs) please post it here.
    I know of a couple of sets on www.quizlet.com, but sometimes the answers people put in their flashcard sets are wrong. There was one website that helped me a lot, I'm pretty sure it was www.funnelbrain.com (quick google search confirms that is probably the one I used).
    So, anyone else have some sources for test studying? Granted, there is no better way to study than to memorize FARs and practice reading and finding things on sectional charts... Of course, I'm sure some actual flight training would help too .

I used http://www.preparetotest.com. Has all the FAA questions and allows you to take them by subject area, as short pop quizes or as a practice FAA exam. Small fee is charged but I think they also let you try it out for free. Check 'em out.
    Last edited by rosiejerryrosie; 07-24-2011 at 07:31 AM. Reason: correcting typos
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Here's one that might work if all you want are the questions and answers...

http://www.exams4pilots.org/faatest.cgi
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

I'm starting sportys training is there anything important I should know going in to it????

Quote Originally Posted by drewgriff View Post
    I'm starting sportys training is there anything important I should know going in to it????
    Keep the pointy end forward and the greasy side down....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

I really don't think learning to fly is very hard, IF, BIG IF, you really like flying and want to be a pilot, and can afford the cost, perhaps in the $6000 range.
    Cost is a big issue, but there are people driving around in $35,000 pickup trucks that say they wish they could afford to fly.
    There is some book learning, and a written test, but really is is pretty simple. The academics are no more that about a 7th grade level if that.
    The FAA gives out EVERY QUESTION THEY CAN ASK VERBATIM, WORD FOR WORD. You just have to learn them. How could that be much easier? Granted there are, or may be a lot of questions, perhaps 600 to cover, of which they may ask 100 on the test. But you only have to make 70 or above, to pass. Of course, if you make only that means there is a third of the written knowledge that you don't know.
    When I got my private license 30 years ago, I only had the two small paperback books by Jeppesen, one on the written test, one on the flight test. I really wanted to learn to fly, I had the time and the cost was not a problem.
    I read the books, AND COMPLETED EVERY FAA PRACTICE QUESTION. I made 98 on the written test. I missed one question on airport lighting at night, that still bugs me.
    Certainly virtually anyone can learn today, especially with the computer interactive programs and the cd rom video guides they have now. The difference is that I really wanted to be a pilot, it was not number 10 on the list of things I might like to do if it fell in my lap at no cost and with no effort.
    Yes, the test back then was a little simpler, but I'd bet that with only the knowledge from then, my 98 would be an 88 today.
    You do have to learn to fly the plane also, and how hard is that? Well there is one girl who has no arms and is a pilot. She was born without any arms and flies the plane with her feet. She is a fully certified pilot.
    I think she had the want to in spades, didn't waste time with excuses.

I prefer ASA's videos and study guide and The Complete Private Pilot book. A lot cheaper than Sporty's. The ASA study guide comes with the FAA Test Supplement which has all of the images used on the test. It's nice to use the supplement with the sample test websites.
    Shannon Coleman
    www.flyataildragger.com
    Aeronca L-3, Piper J-3

I am not familiar with the ASA videos or Sporty's. Other than the Jepp books that I used for my private, I used the King video tapes and practice books for my advanced ratings . They seem pretty good.King my be more expensive than others, but if you can learn faster or easier or better with the best course, it may well be worth an extra $100.
    If a better course

If a better course can save you even one extra flight in the rental plane from the FBO and CFI fee, it may be worth it.
    Most of real money saving will come, not in a few $$$ on the books or cd roms, but by being prepared in advance for each flight lesson. Pre study, rehearse it in your mind, de brief at the end; take some extra time to sit at the airport and watch others land, etc. and MOST of all fly often, at least twice a week and you can learn in perhaps 40 or 45 hours. Some people do lessons once a month and wonder why it takes them 60 hours for a private.
    good luck.

I used the Gleim study materials and had no problems with the written test.

It also showed I'm a dinosaur, as I actually preferred to use the book rather than the interactive computer program.

The funny thing is that the test study materials (which, as pointed out are the possible test questions) are more about how the questions are asked - the unique syntax of the FAA - than a real teaching tool. It is useful in finding out what one doesn't know, but at its heart is a test taking skill improvement tool.

Most of real money saving will come, not in a few $$$ on the books or cd roms, but by being prepared in advance for each flight lesson. Pre study, rehearse it in your mind, de brief at the end; take some extra time to sit at the airport and watch others land, etc. and MOST of all fly often, at least twice a week and you can learn in perhaps 40 or 45 hours.
    QFT

Unless you're a Sport Pilot like me, in which case one can get their license in 20 hours (or, for me, 26).