View Poll Results: Does Chinese ownership change your mind about buying a Glasair?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I will not, or will consider not, buying a Glasair now that it is Chinese-owned.

14 58.33%
  • No, ownership of the company does not affect my choice.

10 41.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another American aviation company sold to China!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbabwe View Post
    Glasair had to look to China for an investor because American investors are not confident enough in the future of our nation's economy to make investments in American companies.

Sure, Joe, no plans were stated to close any US facility, etc., but now the profits Glasair makes will go to China rather than remain in the US economy, giving the Chinese even more US dollars with which to buy America. Someday, China will completely own America.
    They already do own our country. Look at how much money we already owe them. The world has changed, it isn't a bunch of small economies that trade together. Its a world economy
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES

As a manufacturer for Glasair (supplier of factory Exhaust Systems) I really hope there are indeed no changes to the staff, or their 2 week to taxi program... This is one of the top kit planes along with program to get them built and flying in a hurry. this purchase could not only hurt aircraft owners decision to buy a Glasair product but put added strain on many smaller US companies like mine as well. I was shocked to hear this news and with the very good year of systems sold to Glasair and monthly P.O.s that continue to come in.

I'm always a bit dismayed over stuff like this - it's very one sided. When US companies take over foreign ones (Ford and Jaguar), nobody seems too upset. Or when German companies take over American ones (Daimler-Crysler).

There is an upside - indeed, there are a couple of them. Would we be cheering if the board of an aircraft manufacturer closed their doors rather than accept investment based on the nation it came from?

Politically, it's a good thing in the long run. The more economic ties we have to a potential super power the better; the risks of conflict go waayyy down. Why do you think the one of the first things they did after WWII was combine the coal and steel industries of France and Germany?
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Well said Frank!

We have a culture stuck in the 1950's while the real world is sitting in 2012. We never talk about what drove the US to be such a strong advocate of Free Trade. Back when we had 13 states we had to import most manufactured goods and we exported agri-products like cotton and tobacco. A great deal of the 19th century railroad expansion in America was financed by British banks, as we grew the need to export US goods, especially to Europe was hampered by high taxes imposed on imported goods to Europe. Today we have a "mature" economy, that is over extended in consumer debt with a "Financial Industry" on life support thanks to it's own greed. The recovery is slow especially in employment, because sales are down, those that have jobs (majority of pop.) are stuck with over valued houses and high consumer debt so an increase in spending is low and slow. Businesses will expand when their sales forecasts turn up enough to support that growth. I have never worked for any business that said let's go out and hire now that we got a tax cut!

Joe

That's simply not true. I am an Honorably Discharged U.S. Marine and I made numerous attempts to hammer out the details of purchasing the Glasair Aviation company. The Chinese apparently decided to give them more money, because that's what the management held out for. I can't really blame them for that. Can you? That's all it's about my fellow human beings and Americans. Everybody better wake the hell up. The gentlemen earlier has it right. We better all learn to speak Chinese, because they are going to enslave us, and they are going to be laughing all the way to the bank.

Aviation is not the only industry this is happening in. In the past, the countries that were wealthy, were also the technology leaders. This has not been the case with China. They made their wealth off of the technology of others, without the need or overhead of the initial time/financial investment usually associated with technology development. This has put them in a position of being behind from a technology perspective, however very wealthy, and so now you have them just buying whatever they want. On the flip side, you cant buy something unless someone is willing to sell it. So combine a technology hungry wealthy country, with one that values personal wealth and greed over everything else.....and guess what happens? Its nobodys fault but our own for being greedy, on every level, from manufacturing workers to corporate management.

"bd"'

I'm not sure what is "simply not true" and I don't see what being a " Honorably Discharged U.S. Marine (thank you for your service) has to do with this topic. If you we're part of Glassair's Business Team then you may be in a good position to shed some light on why Glassair was in the search for more capital. Clearly they got what they were after or they wouldn't have made the deal. This is a hot topic and I'm trying to keep the pot from boiling over and hopefully get some thoughtful discussion going on a really serious national problem. Aaron has touched on some issues that have been around for a long time. I can remember having a conversation with an engineering mgr at GE back in the early 80's on the dangers of technology transfer. That horse is long out of barn! Yes Aaron we are driven by money! I would argue that the root cause of the problem is short term measurements which promote short term thinking and short term solutions. Corporations are measured by quarter points, and the political class by the time between elections. When this whole move to China started I thought we would be number 2 in the world economy in 40 or 50 years, well that is going to happen a lot sooner! If we don't get the money out of the election process and close the revolving door from Congressmen to Lobbyist we may slip below number 2. I'm guessing that this thread will continue to run all the same talking points and "solutions" we've heard on TV news for the last 10 years. We now have a few more "votes" against free trade then for it on this thread, doesn't surprise me at all Americans are quick to "wave the flag" but short on ideas to fix the problem.

Still Negative,
    Joe

Joe,
    Unfortunately I believe that the problem is one of ethics and morality, which is probably impossible to "fix". Honestly I cant blame China, and never will. They were in an excellent position to reap rewards from greedy Americans ( and europeans, russians etc ), and they did so with great effeciency. I have a feeling once they develop a middle class with disposable income, we will see import prices going up, and domestic production returning as they have more internal demand. Painful I know for now, but these things seem to eventually work out.....after all we were at one time doing the same thing to europe.....

Aaron,

Yes the basic "ebb and flow" of free market economics will eventually stabilize the US economy. China has a good understanding of how the system works, despite their "communist" label they have moved way off Marx. I still wouldn't trade our current situation for theirs. Having said that, we don't really have a free market system in the USA, probably really never have had one. What we have is a system that allows money to purchase laws, tax codes, tax credits, and votes, that keep special interests happy. Since we all have are own special interests we play a role in that kind of democracy. The more $$ you spend the bigger voice you have. User fees are still brought up because the Airline industry lobbys to pass their costs onto somebody else, and so it goes with everything. Maybe next spring when the election is history we'll see a serious discussion on tax reform, but don't be surprised if it's just another "food fight" with everybody pointing fingers at the "other guy" and fighting for their own piece. We are in the midst of a historical change and people only like change for the other guy.

Joe

Maybe next spring when the election is history we'll see a serious discussion on tax reform, but don't be surprised if it's just another "food fight" with everybody pointing fingers at the "other guy" and fighting for their own piece.
    I seriously doubt it since if you took Romney dumped his butt back into the governor's mansion in Mass-a-two-****s you'd have a hard time telling his policies from those of our current president because that's what he did during his tenure there the first time around and you know what they say is the best predictor of future behavior. Neither of them is a great choice but Romney has a level of sleaze going on that even the politicians in his own (supposed) party are calling him on it. That should tell you something when a bunch of folks not known for their ethical quality and nothing to gain are painting you as the poster child for the Waffle House. To be honest, he reminds me of Nixon without any of Nixon's good qualities.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.