View Poll Results: Does Chinese ownership change your mind about buying a Glasair?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I will not, or will consider not, buying a Glasair now that it is Chinese-owned.

14 58.33%
  • No, ownership of the company does not affect my choice.

10 41.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another American aviation company sold to China!

Another American aviation company sold to China!

Glasair Aviation has just been sold to an investor in China.

http://glasair.wordpress.com/2012/07/21/glasair-aviation-acquired-by-mr-fang-tieji-chairman-of-jilin-hanxing-group-co-ltd/

I HAD been considering building a Sportsman 2+2, but, not anymore. Van's, here I come! RV-14?

Glasair joins this partial list of other American aviation companies sold to the Chinese or building planes, engines or parts in China:

Cessna
    Cirrus
    Continental Motors
    Hawker Beechcraft
    Mattituck Services (a unit of Continental, subsequently closed)

My answer doesn't fit either category. Ownership does influence my choice, but is only one of many factors in my purchase decision.

I have to be honest and say that I was extremely disappointed at another US company sending their product overseas. It does impact my decisions, quite heavily.
    Rick

I'm not in the market for a plane, but I would need to think twice before making such a large purchase.
    I think you missed Superior Air Parts from that list.
    It looks like the way to save American manufacturing is to take out the labor with robotics and 3D printing. That way the advantage is negated.

Guess we had better all learn to speak Chinese. They will own this country shortly. Damn shame our politicians have allowed us to get to this state of affairs. But we keep voting for the useless peices of crap so I guess we should not complain.

Quote Originally Posted by vaflier View Post
    Guess we had better all learn to speak Chinese. They will own this country shortly. Damn shame our politicians have allowed us to get to this state of affairs. But we keep voting for the useless peices of crap so I guess we should not complain.
    I don't want to come across hard nosed about this, but if people chose American made products over imports this wouldn't be an issue. You and I can make a difference by buying American when the products and prices are similar, or even when the US products are slightly more expensive. In the end, that slightly higher short term expense will pay for itself several times over if the money recirculates in the US economy as opposed to going overseas.

One needs to back up a few steps & understand WHY the climate is such in the USA that a manufacturing business has a hard time staying viable? When it comes to aviation a good part are liability issues, any reform is impossible right now. The same people who push restrictive rules sit in wonder as a plant closes & moves out of the country. There are only a few dots to connect to see the process. Unlike Gov't, a business has to make money once in a while. Sen. Harry Reid grandstanding about Olympic uniforms made in China is just as silly. Extremely silly because he's one who helped push U.S. manufacturers out.

Let's say you are a consumer and go to Walmart to buy clothes for you kids back to school. Do you buy the $39 jacket made in China or maybe Phillipines or do you wish you could pay twice as much for that jacket made by American union labor, making perhpaps 3 times what the teenager in Asia gets?

Most everyone is a patriot until it comes time to pay for it. For the most part, products made in the U S are much more expensive, not just slilghtly. Will you or you kids go work a 12 to 15 hour day in a factory for a few $ an hour, and no pension or other benefits?

It's easy to blame Sen. Reid or whomever is not the party that you favor, but how was it for the 12 years that Bush 1 and 2 were in office? Was there any outsourcing then? Is only one side doing it?
    How about other countries, are they doing it also? If so , must not be just on Sen. Reid's shoulders.

I too, like to buy American when I can,and sometimes the quality is better.

It's seems like this conversation gets started with every announcement dealing with foreign investment. What the article says is simply that a Chinese investor has acquired the company. It further says that there are no plans to close any US facility, lay-off any US workers, or start any new Mfg. overseas. What it does say is that he would like to "certify" the Sportman 2+2. Now we all know that certification is a costly process and maybe, just maybe, Glasair couldn't afford to do this without additional capital. We know that China has more $$ then they can spend at home and like any good businessmen they look for opportunities with good growth forecasts. The US mfg'r have been "outsourcing" for years because China has the fastest growing market in the world, with a lot more growth potential than the USA. The article doesn't say anything about building or distributing Glasair product to China, only that Glasair has a worldwide customer base. Could Mr. Tieji have better access to the emerging aircraft market in China, then say some US Investment Banker?

Back in 1992 we had an election where the global economy was sort of on the ballot. The discussion was focused on NAFTA, but the arguments are still valid. We chose Mr. Clinton who signed the NAFTA bill, later Mr. Bush signed a bill to "fast-track" outsourcing and another to repeal the "Glass-Stegal" act which had prevented the financial services industry from participating in investment banking. Ross Perrot made a weak attempt to warn the country, but too few listened. We are still making the same "talking points" that we can get on Fox News or MSNBC that have very little to do with the real world and our future. High Tax rates, over regulation, and union shops are not the problem. Maintaining the status quo in education, govt, and the business community isn't going to get us anywhere. We have a lot of work to do and this election isn't going to address any of what is needed nor will it "bring the country together". Sorry to be "negative" but this is a pretty negative thread, so I'm consistent.

Joe

Glasair had to look to China for an investor because American investors are not confident enough in the future of our nation's economy to make investments in American companies.

Sure, Joe, no plans were stated to close any US facility, etc., but now the profits Glasair makes will go to China rather than remain in the US economy, giving the Chinese even more US dollars with which to buy America. Someday, China will completely own America.

I agree that most everyone is a patriot until it comes time to pay for it. I also think that there should be healthy and fair marketplaces.

This debate could go on forever, and probably will (though not here on this forum.)