Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wifi

Wifi

Sorry but the wifi this year is worse than ever. Near the red barn.....half a bar. In the Cub parking area....half a bar and unable to connect..vintage hangar,where I am manning a table....very good. It is the eaa wifi that is non existent. C,mon guys!
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Larry:

We'll have someone take a look at it. In the future, please either send a note to eaawifi@gmail.com or call 920-230-7831 for assistance. When you call, please provide the location number of the Wi-Fi you're attempting to attach to. There is signage nearby.

Also, you might want to check the 2012 AV Grounds Map (see http://airventure.org/planning/schedules_maps.html). It shows the locations of the hotspots or Wi-Fi stations.

John
    Last edited by John Carrier; 07-23-2012 at 11:37 AM.
    John Carrier, EAA #877198
    Vice President, Information Technology
    Staff Liaison to the N40

EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Phone: 920.426.6166
    Fax: 920.426.6865
    Cell: 920.379.4185

It's non existent in the camping area behind the Hangar Cafe. Oddly enough while sitting with my laptop out at Pt. Magoo it worked pretty well.

The Hangar Cafe is serviced by a consumer grade DSL access point. Unfortunately, the broadcast won't go much farther than the building itself. West of that, it is a "dead zone."

So is this ever going to get fixed? Vintage doesn't rate I guess.

Do you have a radio in your vintage aircraft?

FlyingRon:

All areas of AirVenture are important to us; unfortunately, the location of Vintage and those venues south do not have the benefit of infrastructure (e.g., optic fiber, commerical-grade access points) to handle the Wi-Fi need. Instead of providing no Wi-Fi, we're doing the best we can given the infrastructure (e.g., copper) available to us. Expanding our Wi-Fi presence on the grounds can mean a significant capital investment. Directing limited funds towards this would mean less investment in other areas - AirVenture related and outside of AirVenture. Make no mistake, communications remains a key component of our AirVenture future planning initiative.

John

John;

Just wanted to say that, for me at least, after 5 days, I see a marked improvement over past years. I can actually make calls to others in my party, send/receive txts in a timely manner (not an hour later), and 4G coverage decent for data needs. Wifi still a bit iffy, but that's more dependent on my location. All in all, given the number of users, it's much much better. Home quality? No, but any improvement is welcome!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Can't speak to the on-site WiFi as I haven't used it, but my AT&T iPhone has been doing pretty well with 3G signal. I haven't made any voice calls, but data is working fine. Better than it does most days at KPHX, actually.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Access is better than previous years, but can we please get rid of the login screen? It's just wasted bandwidth, as is the subsequent re-directing to the AirVenture home page. I couldn't download a NEXRAD image during the big storm today, probably because hundreds of other people were getting the wifi login screen, which they didn't want either.