Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wifi

How is it for campers this year? We've been wanting to camp, but I have to have wifi for my job, so we decided not to chance it this year and are just driving back and forth like usual.

I had no issues with the wifi today. And down by the vintage area and beyond, my 3G worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by John Carrier View Post
    Larry:

We'll have someone take a look at it. In the future, please either send a note to eaawifi@gmail.com or call 920-230-7831 for assistance. When you call, please provide the location number of the Wi-Fi you're attempting to attach to. There is signage nearby.

Also, you might want to check the 2012 AV Grounds Map (see http://airventure.org/planning/schedules_maps.html). It shows the locations of the hotspots or Wi-Fi stations.

John
    Wifi did not exist this year in the Vintage parking area. Two days I walked, south to north, from the tall pines to the Red Barn. Nada, zip, zero, nuthin' (except, of course, for the Tall Pines wifi, and the Vintage Hangar wifi). We are always parked in the same rows, but are a bit south this year because of the Cubs.

I did email to the address in the email......no response.

I will say that, because of my pitiful work life, I must have connectivity in order to keep things runnin' back at the office. I left at least a day early but this is not EAA's problem, it is my problem.

We have been spoiled with wifi (same parking location) for at least the past three years. I don't know what happened this year that took that away. I saw a post about getting a signal at Point Magoo, which was probably about 150' from my Oshkosh Office (aka "my plane")....I gave up on the wifi on Thursday so nuthin' doing for me.

Don't worry, though, the North Korea style wifi will NOT keep me away from my favorite place on earth next year, Airventure.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Larry:

Yes, as the map indicates, Wi-Fi is limited in that area. If you were fortunate enough to connect, the access point may have been saturated by other users/devices. As for the email to our help desk, your email note was interpreted as feedback for improvement for next year, not a request for immediate response/resolution for this year. I apologize if this was not the case.

John

Larry:

Yes, as the map indicates, Wi-Fi is limited in that area. If you were fortunate enough to connect, the access point may have been saturated by other users/devices. As for the email to our help desk, your email note was interpreted as feedback for improvement for next year, not a request for immediate response/resolution for this year. I apologize if this was not the case.

John
    thanks John....I appreciate all the efforts in this regard. What I don't understand is that we had reliable wifi in the same area for the past three years, so, I guess everyone expected it. Also, the EAAwifi did not even show up as a network on my morning walks from Tall Pines to Vintage.

We just got used to having it, I guess.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Larry:

Not sure what to say about past years. Model has remained relatively unchanged over the past three years. As for not seeing EAAWIFI between Tall Pines and Vintage, this is true. Those Wi-Fi spots are served by DSL access points and have unique SSIDs (e.g., Tall Pines, Vintage Cafe). We put them up, but they are not part of our fiber enabled network.

John

It was my understanding that the godawful trench dug through the middle of the classic taxiway last year (not not properly backfilled making it a hazard to taxiing aircraft) was fiber.

No, the trench was dug to run power and a phone line from the Red Barn to the Vintage Membership kiosk. A conduit was also put down to accommodate a future fiber run.

Larry:

John
    I was in Row 75E and could see the WiFi access on the iPad, but was never able to connect. I suspect it was Saturated as you state. It would be great to see this on the capital improvement plan for 2013.

Aside from that, the mobile coverage was much better this year. No dropped calls at all.
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website

Similar to all of the above. It seemed that my last visit in 2010 it was much easier to connect from most locations (or most locations where I was, anyway.) This year seemed impossible. In many places I was getting a signal, but unable to connect. In Scholler (my first and only time that I will camp there) if you were more than 200 feet away from the WiFi spot there was no signal at all. (OK, maybe 500 feet. Maybe.) Were there THAT many more people trying to connect this year?

I suspect that 2010 was better for two reasons:

1) The inclement weather kept some people off of certain access points, which likely helped lessen some of the network traffic.
    2) The proliferation of smart devices (with large data appetites) wasn't as great.

Keep in mind that most mobile devices will automatically attempt to attach to any available public Wi-Fi, and will attempt to grab more than one IP address. To help control this, we require acceptance of the Terms and Conditions before a user can connect to the web. Also, we time-out after about 1 hour so that others will have an opportunity to take advantage of the service. As for getting a signal, in most cases, we toned down the access point broadcast. While this made the Wi-Fi less accessible to those further away from the point, it did allow us to provide a better internet session for those within 150 feet.

Providing ubiquitous coverage, or deeper coverage in the outlying areas, requires considerably more infrastructure than we can realistically justify at this time. As a result, we established Wi-Fi stations and other venues (e.g., campground internet cafe, N40 retail tent computer bar) to augment our wireless service. Similar to a shower house, this means an individual must go to the (Wi-Fi) location to obtain the desired service.
    Last edited by John Carrier; 07-30-2012 at 11:41 AM.