Thread: campfires and algae.

campfires and algae.

Two things have me concerned before I even arrive this year, campfire bands due to drought, and blue-green algae in the lake due to water temps. Campfires and lake swimming are on our traditions list.
    I hear there is a sign at the camp entrance about no campfires? Any chance this may be lifted if we get some of the storms predicted?

Also, I understand lake Winnebago can grow blue-green algae if it gets warm, and it is plenty warm this year I bet. The bulk of my lake swimming I have ever done has been up there during convention. (ie I am not a natural water swimming do's and dont's guru.) Does anyone know if there has been any growing in the small swimming beach over at the seaplane base? Also is this something I really need to consider if it is? I will have a 4 and 6 year old along, and if they cannot swim in the lake they might be almost bummed out as me However, I do not want to risk any illness when camping, so if the experienced say stay out, I certainly want to know that...and will listen.

~Thanks
    Jim

We live 2 miles from the airport, between there & the lake. Our pond, for the first time, developed blue-green algae about 2 weeks ago. It's an extraordinary colour, there's no mistaking it. I believe the lake had it too. Our pond cleared with the rain we had 3 days ago, but I doubt it will stay very clear for very long with current & forecast temps. I'm sure the seaplane base folks can give you some advice too as they will have been working over there for quite some time now.

Good luck, have fun (swimming or no swimming)!

I flew over L Winnebago the other day. It is THICK with algae. A boat would leave a trail through the stuff. Not to say that would affect you much, but it is very present.

There is always a no campfires policy. The just got more aggressive with the signs.

What did get curtailed was the pyro boom-booms during the warbird demonstration.

There wont be the "wall of fire" at the night airshow?

Banned

I recommend staying out of Lake Winnebago

There were several reported illnesses after people swam in the Lake earlier this month.

Here's the local newspaper's article from yesterday:
    http://www.thenorthwestern.com/artic...-swim-warning?

We heard about the posted signs and as it turns out did not venture over to the base. I did not want to have to explain it to the kids
    Also, campfires ARE allowed in Scholler. After the rains mid week the burn ban was listed, and the camp stores stocked the shelves with firewood. We had our yearly smores