Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh Evening

Oshkosh Evening

It is a beautiful evening in Oshkosh, excellent vfr. I am just on the north side of 9-27 and have been watching a few arrivals. The traffic is really light, all those guys who wrote the doom and gloom scenarios about the Fisk arrival should have been here this afternoon. No crowds that I see, and the parking on the south side of north 4o is only about half full, and only a few planes on the north side at all. Theres's one big group on the south side, think it may be Cessnas.

Oshkosh Sunday Morning

It is about 10 am and it is a beautiful clear blue perfect vfr day, but there are almost no planes flying. The wind is light out of the west and I have only seen one plane, a Cub, coming in on downwind to 27. I don't know if there are weather problms elsewhere or just not many people and planes coming this year, but it is earily quiet, and north parking seems about 1/3 full. I haven't seen a single warbird arrive other than a couple of biplanes. I can't see 36/18 however from here.

These are great updates, Bill. Keep them coming. We plan to arrive Monday morning around 11AM.
    Last edited by Wildcat_1990; 07-22-2012 at 11:14 AM.

We are parked down on 18/36. It's finally starting to pick up down here. It has been very quiet until an hour ago. Looks like its going to be a light turnout for osh 2012. Wonder why !!!

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    I can tell you that the numbers (units sold) for advance tickets and camping passes in particular are actually extremely strong - potentially record setting, though it's too soon to say that for sure.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

This a m when I was on the north end , I can't see 36 well, and a fair number of gen av planes landed down there.
    The wind is stronger now, favors 27, still good vfr with high broken to overcast. Warm, but not boiling when you aren't in the sum.
    The north 40 parking is now mostly full south of the runway, still some room on the north side.
    Warbirds seems about 1/3 full, some neat stuff there, but not many Mustamgs or scores of T-6s,and sure needs some Spitfires or Hurricanes.
    Kimd of nice to walk around today , no hustle and bustle.
    The big RV formation , 40 , came in.
    I had lunch with Jack Cronin and Ed Finegan, Mike Winefurter amoung others, saw Mike Burke, and Mike George whose Son Joe? is about as tall as Mike.

Bill - Thanks for all of the updates. We plan on coming Thursday & Friday. I'm pretty excited since this will be the second EAA I have attended. Last year we were there for a half day and tried to run around and photograph a lot of planes. This year we have a more focused plan. We also have to "try" and hunt down a plane we seen land on Saturday afternoon if it's still there.

Does anyone know when the main warbirds like Fifi, Glaicer Girl etc. arrive? It would be nice if this was posted on the website.

Brian - Fifi is here, flying overhead, but parked in Appleton on the NW side of the airport where they usually park the large freight planes. I gather there is a viewing area right next to where they are parked. I did see a P-38 flying over our house as well yesterday, but they didn't come close enough to see which one it was.

You might want to follow the 'EAA - The Spirit of Aviation" posts on facebook - the updates are coming in pretty thick & fast there, along with some great photos.
    Last edited by Janet Davidson; 07-23-2012 at 06:45 AM.

Have to admit that I'm surprised by how light this forum traffic has been, prior to the start of the convention. On Airventure's Facebook page, lots of Likes but virtually no posts. And also just about zip from the Old School on rec.aviation.homebuilt.

Not a big facebook person but I will check it out. Makes sense on Fifi since they are doing the flights. I forgot about that.