Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh Evening

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    I can tell you that the numbers (units sold) for advance tickets and camping passes in particular are actually extremely strong - potentially record setting, though it's too soon to say that for sure.
    Are the numbers in?

Hopefully you watched me land pretty close to the green dot. I should be up Thursday again for another go, as long as the weather cooperates. Kinda warm yesterday, but a GREAT time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    I can tell you that the numbers (units sold) for advance tickets and camping passes in particular are actually extremely strong - potentially record setting, though it's too soon to say that for sure.
    Game over, everybody left. Do you have numbers now? Citizens of Oshkosh, the community that EAA exploits every year, we want to know. From convenience stores to restaurants, everybody knows it was a slow year. What is EAA's official answer?

Banned
    Also, I've spent hundreds of hours in the finance office. Please show me the respect of not trying to give me what EAA accounting calls, "creative accounting"

I think it is nonsense to say that EAA "exploits" the Oshkosh community. It seems to me that the area and the state enjoy the economic boost that EAA brings.

I don't know what attendance figures will be, but it was pretty good, certainly a lot of planes and people there on Fri and Sat.

We got back this afternoon, can't wait to go again next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4NeT...eature=mh_lolz

Hi all,

Have a quick looksy @ my tribute for my first time @ Oshkosh this year. What a week. Had a damn good time. Where to start? Team RV's aerobatic display which blew me away, or Sean Tucker (am going to be @ his school this week for 3 days CAN'T WAIT), those Alabama Boys - loved their act or the chap in the Stearman. Not sure the general public had any idea how hard he was working, from an aerobatic freak: that was properly impressive. Especailly the slow roll, as he went inverted you saw the flames and the double bang bang as unburnt fuel spewed out.
    Seeing Glacier Girl, been enammered with that aeroplane for many years and also finally meeting fellow IAC'ers including Melissa, Debby Rihn and Larry King and many others including fellow Pitts enthusiasts.

We flew my friend's silver tiger moth in and I camped out in the Vintage area. Partying with the S.African group @ camp scholler two nights running was a hoot, as was the SOS bar.... Also had a great time with Metro Warbirds down @ the ultralight area, those guys and gals were a great bunch. I am planning to compete (by compete I mean make up the numbers) @ the nationals next Sept then spectate @ the worlds a week later, but I Don't know if I can miss Oshkosh for a year and come back in 2014, it was way too much fun.

The only small disappointment for me, was that the 51 drivers really didn't do alot. The sheer numbers of them made it pretty spectacular, but here in NZ, Graham Bethel put's on a display in his '51 like no other. And those who have witnessed Keith Skilling in the Corsair will know what I am talking about to.
    But having said that, the airshow acts themselves were all truly amazing. Melissa and Kirby had me on edge, with their 45 deg down lines...just wondering how many more quarter snaps and hesitation rolls they were gonna try and fit on each of these lines before pulling or pushing out....speechless.

I loved seeing the A10 and P38 together on friday evening. For some reason it was quite emotional seeing the two displayed in the manner they were.

What a week, you can bag EAA as much as you like, but they have created this. They have created this event and along with thousands of volunteers, team work, has put together this event. How they manage to make it run as well as it does, I am speechless, again.

Great job, had an awesome time and we will be back and fly in again. I am back in LA on tuesday - then off up the west coast to fly @ Tutima, and do a bit of sightseeing/visit a few mates along the way, then off home. I will be back next year, this is one helluva great country.

If there is anyone here who volunteered, or has done in the past, THANKYOU.
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 07-30-2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Embedded video

Nice post Andy, I had a great time too.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattmutz2 View Post
    Game over, everybody left. Do you have numbers now?
    http://www.thenorthwestern.com/artic...nclick_check=1

If you read this article, you'll know everything I know on the subject.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyNZ View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4NeTQhDQ94&list=HL1343624197&feature=mh_l olz

Have a quick looksy @ my tribute for my first time @ Oshkosh this year.
    Love it - nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyNZ View Post

We flew my friend's silver tiger moth in and I camped out in the Vintage area.
    Such a beautiful airplane!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

I stayed in Camp Scholler for the week and it seemed to be almost full. I did notice that there weren't as many aircraft in the North 40 at the beginning of the week. It looked like there were fewer aircraft in vintage and the South 40 areas as well. Walk-in attendance for the week seemed low, but there was a crowd there on Friday and Saturday.