Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gluten Free Food

Gluten Free Food

Do any of the Airventure food booths have gluten free food?

Finding something as exotic as decaf coffee ;-) is difficult on the show grounds, so I doubt that there are any gluten-free options that are offered specifically because they're gluten free. (There probably are some gluten free foods that just happen to be gluten free.)

If you're camping, the closest source of a decent variety of foods is the supermarket (Pick 'n' Save, I think) that's a few blocks north of the North 40 airplane camping area. The North 40 is on the Airventure internal bus route.

I never heard of gluten free foods when I was young, never heard of anyone who could not eat bread or any restuarant that had such food. Is this a new thing like "restless leg syndrome?
    When did this condition become prevalent?
    Just my guess, but doubt if there is too much gluten free food at EAA.

Neither are "new things." Both are legitimate and recognized ailments. Their notariety in recent years is simply a result of advancements in medical science leading to better understanding of patient conditions. That leads inevitably to more frequent diagnoses, and thankfully, to development of effective lifestyle changes and pharmaceutical treatments.

See: Celiac Disease -and- Gluten-free Diet

Also: Restless Legs Syndrome
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I was recently diagnosed with Celiac and must eliminate gluten. That makes camping at Oshkosh a challenge.
    Does anyone know if the Subway at Airventure stocks gluten free bread? (some do)
    Does anyone know if A&W or others have fries that are cooked only in oil vats not contaminated from onion rings? (gluten wheat coated).
    Any other gluten free ideas other than ice cream?

I haven't checked all the food vendors yet, but the first two I clicked on DO show several gluten free (GF) options listed on their menu:

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/place/Cedar%20Creek?id=ae99cc54b2e940cbae804219b80a705a

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/place/Benvenutos%20-%20Fightertown%20Cafe?id=03d69922a00c4dfead349ca04 9fb324f

You can check out each food vendor's menu at the Airventure website. On Pg 2 several places show many gluten-free choices. Including offering gluten-free buns for their various foods.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-...nd-concessions

My daughter-in-law has severe Celiac so I have empathy for folks struggling to find safe, convenient eats at this type event.

Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 04-21-2019 at 08:49 AM.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

That's great links Randy, thanks.
    Hope to ride your tram again this year!

Good lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I shall again spend 9 glorious days at the mike.. say Hi if you can.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Cedar Creek has several GF options. I checked the other menus and didn't find much gluten free options with filling calories. (salad and fruit doesn't count much for people fuel)
    Warbirds has gluten free pasta for $11.50 or $15 with chicken
    IAC has gluten free fries for $6.00

Cedar Creek at Homebuilts has GF hamburgers and veggieburgers and hotdogs and chicken sandwich. All about $5. That's my choice to go!
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 04-21-2019 at 10:26 AM.

EAA Staff / Moderator
    Parker John's features an entire Gluten-free menu as well -- there will be two locations on the AirVenture grounds this summer. Here is last year's Visitors & Campers Guide, which includes the dining options on page 24: https://issuu.com/eaahq/docs/avvcg_1...40647/62813470