Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gluten Free Food

Subway does not have gluten free. Getting a salad sort of gets around it, Jimmy Johns subs does an "Unwich" which is gluten free. Most vendors last year had gluten free choices, just have to read menu. My wife has had celiac disease for many years, she gets sick if she goes off the diet. It destroys lining in intestine. We got into habit of bringing gluten free foods, also Pick and Save has a good variety.

Watch for buss in campground labeled "Shopping". It goes to Target and Pick n Save

FWIW, all last year I heard nothing but rave reviews of Parker John's BBQ offerings. Knowing they have a full GF menu enhances the eating options in convenient locations.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I never heard of gluten free foods when I was young, never heard of anyone who could not eat bread or any restuarant that had such food. Is this a new thing like "restless leg syndrome?
    The *connection* of certain symptoms to gluten is relatively recent. The condition itself has probably always existed. It's just that the medical community attributed the afflicted's suffering to other causes, from food poisoning to simple allergies, or hypochondria, or just gave it a fancy-schmancy name in latin that meant, "Hey, this guy is sick" but didn't really explain why.

Ron "It's either dyspepsia, billiousness, ague, or catarrh" Wanttaja

(hey, BINGO!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Oleson View Post
    Parker John's features an entire Gluten-free menu as well -- there will be two locations on the AirVenture grounds this summer. Here is last year's Visitors & Campers Guide, which includes the dining options on page 24: https://issuu.com/eaahq/docs/avvcg_1...40647/62813470
    Thanks.
    The current 2019 website food list has a page 2 that includes Parker John's, that I didn't see till now. Here:https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-...nd-concessions
    scroll down to bottom for page 2.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 04-23-2019 at 08:12 PM. Reason: corrected For page 2

A recent article in USA Today said ~1/3 of all food labeled "gluten free" contains gluten. The worst offenders are pizza and pasta.

Subway HQ says that all of their bread, wraps and muffins contain gluten.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I never heard of gluten free foods when I was young, never heard of anyone who could not eat bread or any restuarant that had such food. Is this a new thing
    Not "new" but certainly rising in popularity. Only ~1% of the global population has Celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder which requires one to avoid gluten so it would be statistically unusual to "know" someone that has Celiac disease. However, in the US, nearly 1 in 10 avoid gluten due to gluten sensitivity issues. That number tripled between 2009 and 2014, making it a more recent phenomena. The gluten sensitivity mechanism is unknown but 'possibly' related to long term consumption of pesticides used to treat crops.

Yes, many are not celiac positive but they do need to avoid gluten. But their gluten intolerance is still a serious intolerance to the gluten protein itself. Another large group might just avoid gluten as a "fad" perhaps.
    Gluten is a complex protein and can cause all sorts of symptoms in some people, like any protein allergen.
    Mayo Clinic has a book that covers these issues and much more than I can post here.

I checked Subway.com and some do offer gluten free bread. But not any that I have seen yet, nor does the one at Airventure from what I see on the EAA menu. For legal purposes, most restaurants will not claim absolute gluten free. I tested the gluten free options at Taco Bell and found them ok for me. Someone with worse celiac might not tolerate what I can at this time.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 04-23-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    Watch for buss in campground labeled "Shopping". It goes to Target and Pick n Save
    Despite the misspelling that the EAA has had on their traffic signs for as long as I have been going, BUS and BUSES are not spelled with double S's.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Despite the misspelling that the EAA has had on their traffic signs for as long as I have been going, BUS and BUSES are not spelled with double S's.
    lol, the electrical kind doesn't have 2 "esses" either!!