Thread: Thread - Rich/Lean of peak mixture - 2 cycle

Thread - Rich/Lean of peak mixture - 2 cycle

There is an onging thread around LOP and ROP mixture for a 2 cycle engine in Hangar Talk

The ROP is rich of peak and the LOP is lean of peak .I think both are running to the benefits. They must increase the power of engine and its range .

Not one two stroke I have ever flown had an in flight mixture control. Not on a two stroke when the oil is delivered by way of the fuel. The last thing you want to do is ever run lean or LOP on a two stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Not one two stroke I have ever flown had an in flight mixture control. Not on a two stroke when the oil is delivered by way of the fuel. The last thing you want to do is ever run lean or LOP on a two stroke.
    http://www.jackbhart.com/firefly/victor_fuel.html

Compact Radial Engines use Tillotson pumper Carbs in some of their engines. These have two adjustable mixture controls - Idle and main . Accessing main in flight with cable is quite possible. Adjusting them with aircraft tied down is part of the manual. Just different from the Bing needles and jets replacement.

My compact radial had this carb setup on it. Its not used to lean in flight but to set the mixture correctly to begin with. You do not have to deal with needle jets like the Bing. Now if you fly above 4000 you could use this to lean for that is what it does, but not the reason its installed in the first place. This carb is used for ease of use. According to Leon the owner of Compact radial Engines.

Tony