Thread: Camping

Camping

Hello fello EAAers and Campers I have a question as far as camping goes. My 15 Year old son and I are going to EAA, and going to be camping there Thursday July 26th - Monday July 30. It will be just the two of us untill Sunday. On Sunday (Family Day) my sons mom (X-wife) will be bringing my 7 year old son to meet up with me and my other son, she is only dropping him off to us and then she is leaving, he will be spending the day and night with us camping at EAA.
    Where would be the best place to meet up with them so she don't have to pay any addmision or parking fee just to drop him off? Will we be able to meet on Poberezney Rd. At the enterance to Camping area? We plan on meeting early in the morning to hopfully avoid alot of the traffic. We will be walking from our camp site to meet him so hopfully it won't be to far away from our camp site.
    Thanks
    Dan
    Last edited by DanB; 07-17-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Since the boy coming in is pretty young, he may enjoy the many kid oriented things at the EAA museum and Pioneer Airport right behind the museum. Too long to list here, but a lot. So if traffic allows her to get in ok, she would not need a pass or ticket to drive in front of the museum and it is an easy place to find. Some days it is really busy there, but they keep traffic moving pretty well, and I'd expect by Sunday traffic may be way down. Only thing would be you two would have to get to the museum, either drive there,(parking across the street if not full) or take the bus from the transportation center over. You'd then just have to carry his bag or whatever he is bringing.

Otherwise, she can drive to the south gate down near the ultralights and he can be dropped off there without her needing a ticket. But there is a lot less for a young boy to do there other than just look. At Pioneer he can fly a model, ride in a helicopter, etc. etc, and it is cool in the museum and there is food there also.

And remember there are trams the run north and south ,see the maps, as it may well be too hot this year to want to walk a lot.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-17-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Not sure where you'll be camping. But, Waukau Dr. goes by Schoeller. Waukau is the street that goes right up to the tower on the airport. Instead of turning south into the paid parking area, you go north (left). That road goes back along the fence of the HBC, to the north 40 area, to the exit. She could drop off ANYWHERE along this route, & wouldn't have to pay anything anywhere.

We have had some experience with this in the past. For us, if you are in Camp Scholler, and know a particular time, don't need to spend a lot of time making the transfer, the BEST place is to meet right along the frontage road between The main Camper registration road and the exit road for campers near parking lot S. In the 200 block. You can sit on the grass mound and wait for their arrival and then she can proceed out the same way back to Hwy 26. Short, fast, little traffic and easy depending on time of day.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by avinuts View Post
    We have had some experience with this in the past. For us, if you are in Camp Scholler, and know a particular time, don't need to spend a lot of time making the transfer, the BEST place is to meet right along the frontage road between The main Camper registration road and the exit road for campers near parking lot S. In the 200 block. You can sit on the grass mound and wait for their arrival and then she can proceed out the same way back to Hwy 26. Short, fast, little traffic and easy depending on time of day.
    Good luck!

Yeah, this is sort of what I was suggesting. Does thae road in front of the museum run both directions all day? I know after the airshow, Wakau is all one way.