Thread: Planning for next year: how much time to block out on my calendar?

Planning for next year: how much time to block out on my calendar?

This year hasn't even begun yet (well, for me) but I'm already excited for next year. Basically what I'd like to know is what amount of time I should block out to get the full experience. The four or five days I will have this year will be much too short. For next year I would ideally like to arrive several days early to volunteer and stay at least until the end. Tips and suggestions are appreciated, as I will be submitting my time off request as soon as possible.

Well sir...if you are adventurous...why not go the end of June, when they first open up Camp Scholler...and volunteer to help set up the whole thing?? Even stay a week after and help tear it down and store it for the next year?? Just kidding..but could be a possibility.. of course your camping fees would be in excess of $800!!!! But going the week before and still volunteering would work..or even volunteer for the part of the week you will be there this year!...Since you are Photographer at heart..you could get all kinds of neat photos by being there as it is being set up, and even easier to get good pics of the warbirds, antiques, etc..befor opening day!! Just my two cents worth..look forward to catching up with you middle of next week.. Later.
    Wayne

I would consider arriving Sat morning before show starts and position yourself on the flight line my midday to catch the formation arrivals. The Bonanzas usually arrive around 13:30 - a great photo op.

... and consider staying through Saturday before show ends for the night airshow!

What ever you do---PACE YOURSELF !!!
    Don't try and see everything in a couple of days
    You can easily wear yourself out--which opens you up to getting sick
    When I was younger we would see and do "almost " everything in 3 or 4 days
    Now spend 8 to 10 days there and see about the same amount of stuff.
    But I feel better at the end of the week
    Take time to rest, etc
    Kevin --getting old--O'Halloran

Kevin's point is well taken - there are plenty of opportunities to slow down and take things in. Cool off with a leisurely visit to the museum, take in some of the forums - not as cool as the museum, but at least out of the sun, take the bus ride over (departs south end of 36) to the Seaplane base and enjoy the sights, sounds and cool breeze off the lake.

One of my favorite activities is to bike over to the North 40 after the air show and watch the last arrivals and departure of the day on 9/27 - don't forget to bring your scanner and favorite cool beverages.

I'll arrive at Oshkosh tomorrow weather permitting and leave the Monday after the show is over. That's what I've done for the past 10 or 15 years.

As many days as you can. The earliest I've arrived is Wednesday before the Monday start, to volunteer. Monday after is the latest I've been there, but volunteer help is usually needed if you can hang around later.

And yes, pace yourself.

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Started way back by commuting in for one day and then leaving until the following year. Then starting camping and staying for three days. Finally took the week off and spent five days. We now arrive on Saturday and set up in Camp Scholler at a leisurely pace. Saturday and Sunday are spent watching arrivals and relaxing with no particular schedule. Easy day and easy night watchind airplanes and people. Monday it starts! We try to pace ourselves each day and spread things out over the week with a tentative-flexable schedule. Fridays salute to vets is a must along with sSaturdays night airshow. We pack up Sunday morning for the trip home and talk of the next years show!