Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage WWI airplane seat

Vintage WWI airplane seat

The front office said I should post here. I am looking for know-how or plans to make a vintage looking airplane seat for my full size Nieuport 24 project. Should look something like this. http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Mil...7ghst1_cu2.jpg Looks like bent plywood with hold drilled out, etc. Any help would be appreciated.
    Nieuport 24

Laminate very thin layers of ply veneer over a form. Glue each layer and clamp them all together overnight to dry. They other method would be to steam some thin pywood and bend over a form and leave to dry. This would not be as strong and may delaminate due to the moisture.

That appears to be a computer rendering.....I would not put too much historical credit in that unless you can validate it with another source.
    I agree with the above approaches for reaching a vintage "look". However, Aircraft ply will not delaminate with moisture, so either approach will work fine. To form plywood, it can also be soaked in ammonia to soften the fibers without compromising the strength. Aircraft ply specifications loosely state plywood placed in in boiling water for 3 hours survives without delamination... is probably sufficient.
    Last edited by GoldenAge; 07-16-2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: additional info

I guess 1/16" plies? 45degree or 90 degree plywood? Is 1/2" thick enough? Do I laminate one layer and clamp, at a time, or laminate 8 layers and bend all 8 around the form and clamp? Drilling holes, before or after it is formed? Would a hole saw tend to shred the ply on the outside? Also, on the attachment to the base (3/4" ply?), maybe 3 L brackets on the outside evenly spaced?

That looks like a pretty big radius. You should be able to easily do it with single 1/16" 90deg 3 ply. No reason to make it thicker or stronger or heavier as it is just a seat back and the strength comes from the tube frame structure. Cut the holes before you form it. Use a scrap piece of wood to back the ply for the hole saw process to eliminate the break out on the back side.

thank you. I will report on progress

Quote Originally Posted by Nieuport 24 View Post
    thank you. I will report on progress
    That would be great. We would love to hear about and see progress. Photos would be great.
    Allow me to apologize for my comment about "computer rendering". This was a hasty judgement. After carefully reviewing the drawing I see that it is a truly stunning piece of art. With such detail, an obviously talented artist must have created this piece from historical information. Do you know who drew this?

google: -- nieuport 17 virtual -- and you will see in the results "Mark Miller blah blah blah. Anyway he is the guy. My next mission is to figure out how to show photos here. I have been collecting photos.

Nuport 24- images are inserted after you click reply, a line of icons appear above the text area. One looks like a picture of a tree. Click it and insert images.
    Last edited by GoldenAge; 07-21-2012 at 03:06 PM.

actual dimensions

Name:  Nieuport seat dimensions.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  28.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenAge View Post
    Nuport 24- images are inserted after you click reply, a line of icons appear above the text area. One looks like a picture of a tree. Click it and insert images.