Thread: Should I bring a bicycle? I'll be camping in Camp Scholler...

Should I bring a bicycle? I'll be camping in Camp Scholler...

Since arriving late Sunday or early Monday dictates that I will probably be stuck camping up near the main entrance gate (campground entrance off the highway, NOT the "airshow" entrance gate!), it seems like I should bring a bicycle. Only problem is I'd have to shove it in my car - a large sedan - and keep it in my tent, unlocked, when I'm not using it. Odd, yes, but will it be worth it? Where can I keep it once I bike over to the main grounds, and will I be able to lock it during the day? Can I leave it overnight if, for example, it poured rain and I had to take the bus back to camp?

There's a giant bike corral right where the Campground dumps out facing the exhibit buidlings (diagonally from Jerry's One Man band).
    That's where you'll have to leave it and I dobut there's any problem leaving it there overnight.

Definitely bring your bike - your feet will thank you. Invest in a good cable lock in case you want to pedal into town or shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kaestner View Post
    Definitely bring your bike - your feet will thank you. Invest in a good cable lock in case you want to pedal into town or shopping.
    Yep! I've got this new, 1/2" diameter Master Lock cable lock that's probably 20" in diameter.

A bike really gives you freedom to get around. Well worth whatever hassle it is to bring and keep up with it.

Does anyone rent bikes there?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarach View Post
    Does anyone rent bikes there?
    In the past, the company Wheel and Sprocket has rented bikes right on the convention grounds. They had a place on the N side of Scholler campground. Perhaps you can call them directly and get availablity and rates ahead of time.

Thanks Marty, just got off with phone with those guys and was told they are not renting this year. Thank for the lead though!

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarach View Post
    Thanks Marty, just got off with phone with those guys and was told they are not renting this year. Thank for the lead though!
    You can always buy one from Goodwill then donate it back at the end the week. Sorta like a rental.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Thanks Bob, I Googled them and mapped out my plan. Hope to get there early enough to score a bike.