Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry a backpack around all day?

Here I am at OSH11 with my backpack. It's a Cinebags CB-25 loaded with one large video camera, 2 small video cameras, a Nikon SLR with 3 lenses, flash, and all the various video and photography accessories, and of course water bottles. Only issue is the sweaty back some others mentioned, but I address that by alternately hanging the bag by just one shoulder to allow some cooling.
    Name:  D21_2564.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  89.9 KB

I have a chair/backpack in one. It's a chair that folds up and it has straps to wear it like a backpack plus it has all the storage room too. And it reclines! I'm pretty sure you can get them at Walmart and the like. The only draw back is it gets pretty heavy after awhile carrying binoculars, extra batteries for camera and scanner, sunblock, bottle of water... you get the idea. First day is always the worst because that's when I do my shopping for new shirts. Gets lighter later in the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Halloran View Post
    Back pack is a must !!!
    put my SLR camera in it and water, sunscreen, etc
    AND--its also where I put all the things I buy and also for all the free stuff ( aircraft spruce catalog, etc)
    The plane is always 40 or 50 pounds heavier when I head back to Oklahoma
    Was heading to Oshkosh on thursday--just can't wait--so I'm leaving wed !!!
    Kevin

Hey Kevin:
    We're leaving OKC Wed about noon. We get there Fri morning. Are you flying or driving? We'll be driving pulling a 5th wheel.

Oops, just noticed, you said the airplane is heavier coming home.
    Give me a call while you're there (405) 417-6077.
    Last edited by malexander; 07-16-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Here are a few more ideas. If you just want to use a random backpack, not a photo backpack, you will probably want something to protect the lenses when they're loose in the backpack. Nikon, and I presume Canon, ships a case with many of their lenses that you could stick in the backpack in which to put the unused gear. They are virtually no weight, but will be there to protect the equipment. I leave The Big Lens, in my case, a 200-400mm zoom, in the car (I go into GRB and drive down) until the airshow. Mid afternoon, I'll go the car and get it, a monopod, and a chair so I can find a spot from which to shoot the afternoon activities. I've rarely wanted the long lens during the day. I also leave the spare camera body in the car in a Think Tank pouch.

All of this is very much personal preference, whatever works for your style. If you have the ability to take a couple of different solutions, try something one day, then something else the next to see what works for you. I think the biggest suggestion is to make sure you don't try to carry too much gear. If you have too much, the gear begins to control you and the fun quotient goes down very quickly.
    Bill

N222AB
    Fort Collins, CO

I have a featherweight daypack that holds a couple of drinks, a poncho, a book, a camera, sunscreen, etc. Probably under 10 pounds. I also use it to stash flyers and stuff I buy from vendors.

I don't even notice that I'm wearing it.

I wouldn't go without my back pack. You don't have to fill up every inch of it. If you find something you like it is pretty handy. I also like it to bike out to the grocery store and back.

This year I got an oversized fanny pace that holds two bottles. The fanny pack is big enough for binoculars, radio or whatever else I feel is appropriate for the day.

I have done both light backpack and a photographer style vest (actually, a 5-11 vest for a couple of days, then EAA's vest.) This year it will just be the backpack! The wife and yung'uns, too! Shove the vendor's tote bag and stuff in the backpack when you get tired of carrying it. Most importantly drop everything not strictly necessary at your campsite whenever you get the chance. (Cameras, water, iPhone, and sunblock are strictly necessary)

Malexander
    sent you a PM with all the info--let me know if you don't get it
    Beechparts@sbcglobal.net

In the heat we're likely to have, any kind of serious backpack would be unpleasant to carry around. Maybe unless it were full of ice! ;-)

I prefer a fanny pack that also can be carried with a shoulder strap.

At the big air shows we have here in NZ I always have a backpack to carry my Camera gear, snacks and the inevitable stuff you collect from trade displays etc. I have a lightweight "day pack" as used by hikers - its not too big but the strap systems avoid pressure points etc. I would use my internal frame backpack I use for hiking, but that is a fraction too big. My smaller day pack has a useful compartment where I can install a rehydration bladder, such as a Camelback. My "point and hope" camera is clipped to the pack straps and the SLR goes inside. Its quite handy when you find somewhere to sit, you can lean against the bag to stabilise your photos.
    "If it was supposed to be easy, everybody would be doing it...."

Proud designer / builder of Avian Adventurer ZK-CKE.