Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry a backpack around all day?

Anyone carry a backpack around all day?

How comfortable would it be to carry around a half full backpack all day? I'll be carrying around a camera on each shoulder all day and would like a) something to put them in should it rain (or if I want a break) and b) something to put other things in, e.g. water bottle, small blanket to sit on while watching the afternoon airshow, a third lens (large) and camera body (small) and any materials I might (okay...will) pick up throughout the day. I'm thinking about purchasing a North Face Surge bag since I'd rather not carry around my huge Lowepro camera bag that tells the world what's inside. Otherwise I don't see any other alternative to accomplishing what I want to accomplish.

I always carry one with me on the grounds. It usually has a few cameras (an SLR and a point-and-shoot), an ATC scanner radio, a couple water bottles, program, batteries, sunblock, etc. The only discomfort I've ever really experienced from carrying one is that my back might get a little hot and sweaty if it's a particularly warm day. I'd definitely recommend one with two straps that are wide and amply cushioned.

You might think of a fanny pack. They stay out of the way until you sit down.

Banned
    Kazoo, as someone who abhors carrying anything around on my back or with my hands, at Oshkosh or any other place, may I suggest that it is far easier, comfortable and less taxing on the body to pull rather than carry. Buy a well constructed lightweight "carry-on" bag(plastic or fabric/frame type) with excellent rugged wheels and an extendable/hide away handle that will hold what you need. Your back can thank me later!

I always carry a backpack camera bag. I usually have enough room to stuff handouts and now an iPad into one along with the day's camera gear. Last year I used a Lowepro Slingshot 300 that worked pretty well. It is big enough for a D300 and several lenses with a little space left over. I've used bigger bags in the past and they just don't work very well when you have to take them off to sit in a forum chair or at lunch. Small is a virtue in this case.

I use a fanny pack camera bag but when I do the exihibts I usually carry one of the handout (usually XMradio) canvas totes to lug my stuff back. Of course this year I'm sporting a rediculously large lens so I don't know what I'm going to carry.

Just picked up a camera backpack from Best Buy, sounds a lot like the one N222AB is talking about. Was around 70-80 bucks, has lots of bottom storage for camera gear with great padding. Top portion is great for computer and iPad's etc. Lots of space, very comfortable fit and versatile!

Personal choice, here's mine. I do both! fanny and backpack.

fanny pack has stuff that I use often like money, camera, water. backpack has rain gear, schedules/maps and makes for a great place to stuff any goodies that I pick up along the way

I have a mini-backpack I got from WalMart (luggage area) that was perfect at Oshkosh. It looks just like a regular backpack but smaller and a little larger than a fanny pack. It is big enough for a couple of bottles of water, camera and snacks. I would hate to lug a full size backpack around KOSH and a fanny pack would be too small.

Happy

Back pack is a must !!!
    put my SLR camera in it and water, sunscreen, etc
    AND--its also where I put all the things I buy and also for all the free stuff ( aircraft spruce catalog, etc)
    The plane is always 40 or 50 pounds heavier when I head back to Oklahoma
    Was heading to Oshkosh on thursday--just can't wait--so I'm leaving wed !!!
    Kevin