Thread: Camping at the Fond Du Lac Airport?

Camping at the Fond Du Lac Airport?

Has anyone here camped at the Fond Du Lac airport in the last few years? I was wondering about costs, minimum stays, & facilities? I have driven by during Airventure a few times & it seems rather vibrant with a good amount of aircraft.

Yes, flying in to OSH is my main plan. Even though I realize accurate weather reports are hard to come by over 48 hours out, I'm starting to see mention of adverse weather on Monday the 23rd(don't shoot the messenger). I have Monday available, but have to be home Tuesday morning at the latest(I'll go again later in the week). It's not as easy as just driving up since I will be away from home & with the plane.

To stay flexible I thought about bringing a tent & flying into FLD Sunday eve. That way I wouldn't get trapped in OSH & a ride could pick us up by car if need be. I know, plenty of 'what ifs', just tuning up the back-up plans.

Thanks Steve, FLD is just part of the backup plans.
    Last edited by Joe Delene; 07-17-2012 at 12:10 PM.

We last camped at FDL in 2010, the infamous Sploshkosh year. There is no camping fee. The shower facility is a 4-stall trailer. There was a free on-field shuttle bus to ride instead of walking to the FBO or shower. A one-time $50 landing/tiedown fee is assessed to cover use of the airport and it's facilities. A shuttle bus runs every half hour between FDL and OSH all day long. I think that ride cost $10 each way.
    FDL was packed with planes that year due to the saturated parking fields at OSH. We arrived Sunday morning and were parked near the far western boundaries of the airport due to the high number of planes. We made regular use of the shuttle bus. The nearby hotel's shuttle ran us into town for lunch and to WalMart for supplies. I'm sure the driver made bank on tips that week.

camping at FLD

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    We last camped at FDL in 2010, the infamous Sploshkosh year. There is no camping fee. The shower facility is a 4-stall trailer. There was a free on-field shuttle bus to ride instead of walking to the FBO or shower. A one-time $50 landing/tiedown fee is assessed to cover use of the airport and it's facilities. A shuttle bus runs every half hour between FDL and OSH all day long. I think that ride cost $10 each way.
    FDL was packed with planes that year due to the saturated parking fields at OSH. We arrived Sunday morning and were parked near the far western boundaries of the airport due to the high number of planes. We made regular use of the shuttle bus. The nearby hotel's shuttle ran us into town for lunch and to WalMart for supplies. I'm sure the driver made bank on tips that week.
    The shower facility at FLD is a 4 stall for men and a 2 stall for women. The actual fees for using the camping facilities is $35.00 per plane load for the entire week. That fee goes to the local EAA chapter. http://www.fdl.net/eaa
    In addition, the county has a parking fee of $15.00, again it covers the whole week.
    There is food service availableand hourly shuttles to OSH. So the total is $50.00 for the week.
    Thanks

I was able to do 2.5 days at OSH & camped there with a friend. It all worked out well.