Thread: Accident Report: Incredible

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Accident Report: Incredible

The June issue of PILOT, the AOPA magazine, free to all members, contains a astonishing accident report.

The basic facts are pretty simple: On the morning of Oct 10, 2010, about 9:20 am a pilot took off on an IFR flight plan from Mo going to Atlanta in a 1992 Beech Turbo Bonanza, Be 36 TC. I fly a 1988 model myself.

When he called flight service to file the flight plan the briefer tried to give him the warnings about severe thunderstorms until noon. The pilot didn't want to hear the warnings, later said he had the info.

The plane disintegrated in the air about 30 min later starting at about 14,800.

Now a pilot ignoring warnings and flying into severe storms with a fatal result is tragic, but has happened before. But there is more to the story.

The pilot had previously flown into heavy weather, so much so that this plane was overstressed and had to have major repairs done to the airframe, both complete stabilizers and both wing skins. So he had tempted fate and gotten away with it 2 years earlier. And apparently without learning from the lesson.

Believe it or not that's not all. IT WAS THE 2ND Time!!!! Earlier in that same year the same pilot had brought in an A36 with so much damage that it was totatlled!

It's hard to believe a person would do this, but there it is in the report,plain as day. The pilot had 790 total hours with 59 instrument, and was current. The plane had dual Garmin 430s with some weather capability.

In my mind we hope the Lord is looking after us, if we do something we shouldn't. But that should not be His full time job, we have to use some degree of common sense on our own most of the time.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-15-2012 at 09:53 PM.