Thread: Airfoil data

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Airfoil data

I thought there used to be a page on NASA's website where you could get all the airfoil test data to plot lift/drag curves, etc for various airfoils, but I can't seem to find it.

Does anyone know where to look? The University of Illinois has a database with the profiles, but I need the data for lift, drag, angle of attack, etc.

When I was in college we had a big book in the engineering library that had all the data with the curves plotted out but I cant seem to come up with the name of it.

Thanks

Mike

"Theory of wing sections and summary of airfoil data" by Abbott & Von Doenhoff?

Might not interest you but Barnaby Wainfan did a series in Kitplanes and it was later compiled into book form called "Understanding and choosing airfoils for light aircraft"

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    "Theory of wing sections and summary of airfoil data" by Abbott & Von Doenhoff?
    I'm pretty sure that one only has data on NACA airfoils, and the ones I need right now aren't NACA.

Might not interest you but Barnaby Wainfan did a series in Kitplanes and it was later compiled into book form called "Understanding and choosing airfoils for light aircraft"
    Haven't heard of that one, I will have to check it out & see if I can find out what is included. I wonder if the articles are on the Kitplanes website?

Some of them are buried in compilation reports. Which ones are you looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenAge View Post
    Some of them are buried in compilation reports. Which ones are you looking for?
    These (to start with):

GU25-5(11)8
    Roncz R1145MS
    Eppler 1230
    NACA 4414
    Wortmann FX60-126
    Half Biconvex (whatever that is - it is the original wing used on the VariViggen)

I was going to plug the data into either Excel or MathCad to generate the graphs & calculate performance under certain conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    Haven't heard of that one, I will have to check it out & see if I can find out what is included. I wonder if the articles are on the Kitplanes website?
    Dunno. Seems like it would be. If not, you can order through actechbooks in ebook format for $16.50.

Dunno. Seems like it would be. If not, you can order through actechbooks in ebook format for $16.50.
    Hopefully I can look for it this afternoon.

I'm not sure if it contains data on all the airfoils you need, but I would guess what you're looking for is the NASA Technical Reports Server.

-Tony