Thread: Q: Flying in and out daily

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Q: Flying in and out daily

It is my understanding the field is closed during the airshow and that some arrivals are restricted during certain mass arrivals; however, generally speaking what are the times-of-day when one can fly in and out of AirVenture?

I am going to peruse the 2011 NOTAM, but thought I could ask here, too.

OK - I just skimmed the NOTAM. It looks like earliest arrival is 7am and latest departure is 8pm. I've always noticed the big line-ups for departure after the airshow. Does a similar lineup occur around 8pm? What if you are 5th in line when 8pm rolls around....

Just curious...

The lines are generally long right after the show, but by the time 8pm rolls around, things have really slowed down. There are usually folks trying to get in around 8pm, but FISK cuts off the arrivals on time and landing elsewhere for the night is the alternative. Otherwise, it's a regular fly in outside of the times the airport is NOTAM'd closed. Come and go as you please...just practice extreme vigilance if you're just going to fly around the area and come back in. Have fun next year!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Chad, things don't just slow down at 8pm, the field is closed to all flights.
    You can fly in the morning, usually not much problem if its early.
    But trying to fly out after the show can be a big wait, as I wrote about on airventuere topic,

Yep...what I was saying was that as 8pm approaches, most departures are gone and there usually isn't much wait at that point.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

For future reference... The other, and maybe more relevant, factor about "coming and going" during the fly-in is parking. Especially midweek, you will likely be parked in vastly different spots each time you arrive. And at the busiest times, you may be turned away if you don't have some sort of VIP (VIA?) parking arranged.

// Jack