Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Young kids at OSH

Quote Originally Posted by bneal View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you guys. This is my 4th time to oshkosh and I am bringing my entire family (wife, 5yr old, 2yr old, 4month old nursing) It's totally going to be fun/wild/stressing. I do have the 5yr old able to identify aircraft and the 2yr old stares at the sky when a plane flies over. So I'm hoping kidventure is as good as everyone says it is. The wife????......hopefully I come back a married man still! But cannot wait to get there and let them experience it!
    Wow! And I worried about just one 8 year old and wife! You have your hands full.

I guess the best advise is to just kick back, enjoy and roll right along with what comes. We will be flying in from Tulsa, OK. Which will be a small adventure in just getting there. Staying in the dorms so we don't need to stress about camping.

Having only read the initial thread, I would say YES, definitrly bring your 6 year-old and be prepared to have fun! I am a relative newcomer to Oshkosh... my family's first trip was Sploshkosh 2010... my son was 6 and we had a GREAT time. Went back last year and had a blast. This year, due to work obligations, my wife will not be attending, but my son and I are going back... he can't wait. Ok, I can't wait either.

B2Osh ( bonanzas) will have close to 50 kids this year in our group .
    Age 6 months to 18--they never get bored !!!
    Kevin

Mark:

Is see that you are in Tulsa (Owasso), I'm based out of Riverside in Tulsa, small world! Are you flying to OSH? Camping, dorms, hotel or what?

Larry

Wonderful, we have been attending the convention since my kids were 5 and 3, they are now 14 and 16 and look forward to it every year. We did Kidventure and the museum with the kids as well as the craft tent but, they were happiest sitting at the flightline watching all the airplanes. What a great time to introduce the kids at such a young age and bring them to a family type of event. 6 more days!!

I have had some wonderful times with my Boy at Oshkosh, and we are going back again this year...the boy is 12 now.
    Name:  P7293194.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  91.7 KBName:  P7272989.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  88.1 KBName:  P7272977.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  98.0 KB

If you have a vehicle, there are plenty of things to do around the area; Menominee Park in OSH is right at the lake, centrally located in town. They have a small zoo, water pedal boats, a train, concession stand, etc. There is "Bay Beach" in Green Bay, about 45 minutes north that has the same things as Menominee only way fancier. Also in Green Bay there is the National Railway Museum (boys love this!). The NRM has one of the original "Big Boy" steam engines on display. If you know trains, you won't want to miss this!

Just north of Oshkosh about 20 minutes there is a cheese factory that is just great to visit and tour. They start making cheese at 0400 every day and have fresh curds after 0900. It is named Union Star and is in Zittau, WI. To get there take Hwy 41 over the bridge, Hwy 76 exit north to County Road II west (left). You can't miss the factory on your right side about 6 miles down or so. The tavern kitty corner from the cheese factory has great burgers too.

Wolf River Campground in New London (30 minutes north) has tubing on the lazy Wolf River. Tie your tubes together and float for half a day. Lots of fun for older kids too!

I'm amazed more people don't find our two local drive in's. Ardy and Ed's is just east of the approach end of rwy 27, by the lake (you could walk if you "like" to walk). They have great perch and shrimp baskets, homemade root beer and "kiddie baskets" with "baby beers" for the kids. Leon's Frozen Custard (I used to work there as a kid) serves fresh custard and sandwhiches and is located off of Murdock on the north side of town. Both places have car hops and are really cool joints!

Kids will also love the sea base! It's quiet, there is a boat tour for a couple bucks, you can pack a picnic or buy food there and eat underneath the trees. This is a lot less "hustle bustle" and can be accessed by car or bus from Bus Park.
    Last edited by Chris Thomsen; 07-20-2012 at 07:46 AM.

I would just like to revive this post just for a minute to update anyone with qustions about taking kids to oshkosh. It's rather simple......DO IT!!! My sons and wife really loved everything about it.Well......heat on monday kinda sucked but....ehhh...no one can control that so who cares? All we did was use simple parenting common sense (stop in the shade for a few, use sunscreen, drink water) We did buy a jogging stroller and used some thermal lunch sachels to keep water nice and chilly all day. Did they slow us down some? Sure. But it helped me slow down and take in a few more details I would have missed. The Shower houses really were not that bad minus the excessive PSI those showers heads were putting out...ouch! They slept amazing in the tent with fresh night air and a big day they had. No disrespect to anyone who said to wait on bringing them. I really am glad that I did and they will be back next year with me! wife included!