Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Young kids at OSH

"and I'm bringing my almost 6 year old son."

I am bringing my 9 year old Grandson, right now he is really excited, But I am not sure if there is enough to hold him captive for the full week. He LOVES airplanes he loves airshows and I too am looking for more things for him to engage in and, when I build my first plane, he wants to help! That said he is still 9 years old so I need to find things that will capture his interest, beside the airshows daily. I am sure that for at least 2 or 3 days he will be excited but after that I really dont know.

I was happy to see someone else who is bringing a youngster, if worst comes to worst we could always "pair them up" and maybe they can sort it out for themselvs!

Anyhow, we should not be hard to find...we are the ones in the shirts that say: "this is my first OSKOSH please excuse my mistakes"

Good luck and Hope to see every one in a week or so!

Mike!

I'm in the same boat as you guys. This is my 4th time to oshkosh and I am bringing my entire family (wife, 5yr old, 2yr old, 4month old nursing) It's totally going to be fun/wild/stressing. I do have the 5yr old able to identify aircraft and the 2yr old stares at the sky when a plane flies over. So I'm hoping kidventure is as good as everyone says it is. The wife????......hopefully I come back a married man still! But cannot wait to get there and let them experience it!

Wow, great thread! Thanks to everyone for the valuable info! Bneal, great that your family is coming along, hope it goes well! Maybe we can get my son together with your 5 y.o. Are you all camping out?

Took the whole family to AV 2010, including my then six year old son and his two older brothers. He had a great time, afterwards saying that it was his best vacation ever. We are all looking forward to coming up again for the week. Driving in is important as it gives you the opportunity to get away. Also remember sensory overload for young kids. Plan in some quiet time every day. Agree with all comments above, especially about KidVenture. Also remember the play area in or near Scholler.

For the 8 year old daughter post: A whole day's worth? At least several days worth -- although maybe not a week. You can't get through all of the activities at KidVenture and the crafts area in just a day. Don't even try. Pace yourself, work to her schedule. (The pilot in the family can slip away during "down-time" -- yes even for eight and ten year olds.)

Audioflyer-Yes we will be camping out! I plan on getting there sunday afternoon! Bringing a little grill and tossing the frisbee at nights with the boys and you and your family are welcome to join! PM me if you would like to exchange contact info and we could let the little ones play. Capri suns on me!

Those of you with small children - there is a nice, shaded play area under a white tent, behind the Vintage Red Barn headquarters. It's called the Kiddie Kockpit. It's for smaller kids and makes a nice pit stop on your trips down the flight line. There's a changing station there too.

All the above is good advice, it is stressful but fun! Here is my gang last year, 7, 4, and 2:
    Name:  IMG_1110.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  98.7 KB
    And the older two back in 2008 with their late Grandpa (4 & 1 then)
    Name:  IMG_4563.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  90.1 KB
    Last edited by Jim Hann; 07-15-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Add older picture.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

We have been bringing our kids every year since 2000. Started with a two year old, and now they are 14,12,9, and 6. We arrive 4 days before the start of the show and camp 10-11 days. All of them (one boy, three girls) are excited every year to go. We spend about 2 days at KidVenture, and there are plenty of other fun things for them to do at the main area. The camping area has plenty of room to play ball, throw balsa wood planes (lots of free ones at the show), and bike around. We walk over to the Fly-In Theatre every night for a movie and free popcorn. There is a waterpark nearby that my wife will take them to half of a day if it is a hot week.We are heading out in 3-4 days, and they are already packed and ready to go!Have fun!

Just talked to folks in Osh last night. It has had very little rain, is pretty dry, a little brown, and will likely be dusty. It may be in the 90s maybe up to 100s. <br>
    I personally would not bring a very young child, especially a nursing infant into that situation if camping. It is a little different if you are at a hotel with air conditioning and a pool. The very young not only may suffer more from the discomfort, but are not going to appreciate the avitaion part as well either. <br>And yes, I know it can be done, just like some people drag their 2 or 3 year old out on the ski slope when they can barely stand up. But is it good for the child or just convenient for the Father?<br>The fiirst year we flew in via Mooney, with my 2 year old Son. We made 2 stops enroute and it was hot. Both times he was hot and crying in his seat in the back, and nothing I could do until we got to altitude and cooled off. It was not fun for him and I'd never do it again that way. And we were in a motel once there so that part was ok. He loved it when he got older.<br>
    I have never heard of a water park in Osh, can you give details?<br>
    <br>
    For ages 12 and 14, maybe 9 also they will likely love EAA.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-15-2012 at 10:11 AM.