Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Young kids at OSH

Young kids at OSH

This will be my first Oshkosh, and I'm bringing my almost 6 year old son. We'll be driving in and camping out. Any suggestions from anyone who has brought younger kids in the past? He's definitely not as big of an aviation freak as I am (yet), and I'd like to do at least a few things that will keep him entertained.

Anyone out there bringing kids around the same age who would like to get together? I'm sure he'd like someone his own age to play with. Let me know!

Bring him over to KidVentue at Pioneer Airport We have about 40 activties for kids toddler to teen age. 9:00 am to 3:30 pm every day except we close at 2:30 pm on Sunday.

I brought my Grandson, age "almost 5 at that time." He liked the museum at Lakeland. He also seemed to enjoy the ultra lights because you could get reasonably close and see them in the air plus the ones that were on the ground.

A few things I wouldn't have thought about but they caught his attention were the trams (Hayride to him). I think he would enjoy an up close and personal of the pedal planes. Any plane that you can get in and walk around in.

I think he would like the pioneer field because you can see the helicopters etc. taking off and he LOVED the war birds.

I second KidVenture. Tons of stuff to do and the volunteers are great. We usually spend at least 1/2 a day there. Longer if we would let the little bugger. We usually catch the ultralights and powered chutes when they are up. There is a small playground in the campsite area near the fly market in the area known as Paul's woods. Lots of things you stumble upon end up being amusing. We also take ear plugs and or shooting style ear muffs. The shows can be fun to watch but a little loud for the wee folk. It also makes sleeping in camp a bit easier

That's pretty young to be outdoors in the sun, heat, and noise all day. Remember not to overdo it for him.
    If you drive up the highway from the south, I think it may be 41, you might want to exit and spend an hour or so at the small amusement park which is just in the south ourskirts of Fon du Lac. My kids loved it at age 10 to 15. I think the exit is probably Military Drive,then go about 1/2 mile south , not sure on the name of that road, it is the one that runs just by the FLD airport.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-13-2012 at 07:23 AM.

My Son at 6 loved the pedal planes over by the homebuilt area...or at lest that's where they used to be.

I will be attending with my 8 year old daughter this year. It's her first time, and we are looking for things that will keep her interested for the 5 days we plan to be on site. I see that a craft/activities tent is on site. Can anyone comment on what things are availaible there? We of course will be spending time at KidVenture and Pioneer Airport. I guessing that between the two, it's a whole days worth?

Don't know about kids that young, but we brought my thirteen year old to Oshkosh once and he met up with a girl in the Ultralight area and we hardly saw him the rest of the show.

Government display pavillions have some interactive things that can be interesting for young people to participate in. Ford has an old car ride that could be fun along with the ferris wheel at the Ford tent. Pedal airplanes for the real young ones North of homebuilts. Craft center. KidVenture at the museum. YMCA has a good program downtown Oshkosh with transportation to and from. Playground in the campground is always a hit. Teen dance and pizza party for the older kids. Watch for the "free" ice cream truck going through the campground. Young people's items for sale in the Fly-mart (toys). Hope that helps, a little...

Besides KidVenture, there is a craft tent just as you enter the homebuilt area. I've lost my wife and daughter in there for days.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler