Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haven't been in eight years. Now 23, going alone, M-F, and camping. Tips??

Haven't been in eight years. Now 23, going alone, M-F, and camping. Tips??

Hi all! Having grown up obsessed with aviation, I was fortunate enough to have attended Airventure in 2003 and 2004 thanks to my fantastic grandparents. Now finishing college, a few weeks ago I made the decision to attend Airventure this year because I can't stand not to. My plan is to arrive early Monday morning and stay through part of Friday. My work schedule and a weekend wedding dictate the length of my stay, otherwise I'd stay longer. I will be staying in a tent in Camp Scholler. Might anyone have some immediate tips or random bits of information that might be handy? It's been tough keeping up with all the emails, news, etc. as we get closer.

I'm a professional photographer and am trying to get into aviation photography (so far just static!), thus I will be carrying around a couple cameras throughout the week. My hope is to spend an hour or two a day doing some static work around sunrise and sunset, weather permitting. Currently I am debating renting a 1.4x tele-extender for my 300mm 2.8 lens, as I took some photos at a local airshow a couple weekends ago and found the reach without to be just a tad short.

Aside from some photography, my only specific plans are to exhaust myself checking out vendors, products, meeting and talking to people, learning, etc. Will probably be on my feet ten hours a day. I plan on bringing cold food to have for breakfast each morning, probably something for dinner each day and then plan on finding something for lunch each day (also refilling a water bottle).

Oh one more more thing. Though I was thinking I would stay with relatives in Fond du Lac late Sunday night and head up to Oshkosh as early as possible on Monday morning, should I even consider going straight to Oshkosh? The thing is I wouldn't be arriving until late, perhaps as late as 10 or 10:30 pm local time.

There should be room for you, maybe not 5 min from the showers though. You may get lucky. If you are arriving that late I'd stay with the relatives one night, it it's not to much trouble. You can avoid a night setup, & start fresh Monday morning. You may want some last minute food supplies too.

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    Bring a lightweight camp chair and drop by the black and orange 1939 Waco Cabin parked with a group of Wacos across from the Theater in the Woods. If you like old airplanes you won't be alone during Airventure.
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway

You might want to visit the FLD airport if you are going to be there anyway; there is often something of interest in the overflow from Osh, and if you don;t have a car or ride to Osh, there is bus service about every hour from the FLD airport. And a pretty good snack bar/lunch wagon at the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
    Bring a lightweight camp chair and drop by the black and orange 1939 Waco Cabin parked with a group of Wacos across from the Theater in the Woods. If you like old airplanes you won't be alone during Airventure.
    Will do!!! (was that "bring a chair when I come say hello" or "bring a chair to Oshkosh because there will be times when I want to sit"?)

If you plan to shoot the afternoon airshows you will love Oshkosh. The show runway runs north / south and you will have the afternoon sun over your shoulder. Bring lots of cards or a cardreader and laptop with space for gigs!! Personally I would not use the TC but that is certainly a matter of preference and style. At least you would have it on a 2.8. If you have a good wide angle bring that for some of the static early and late light shots. You will love it.

I would suggest getting the 1.4 teleconverter if possible. I actually use a 2x for my 300 lens. Also I find that a blanket works much better than a chair, much easier to carry if you also have a load of camera gear. Other essentials for me as an amateur photographer...... several extra camera batteries, sunscreen and a hat, and extra shoes ( it will rain at least one day and soggy shoes are the worst!). The crowds thin out considerably after the airshow ends making photography simpler, not to mention better lighting. Don't forget the seaplane base, good photo opps plus it's a good way to escape the crowds for a bit.

Just got my 50-500 Zoom from Sigma (also have a 1.4x tele). By the way, dig around on Amazon they'll often have used/refurb'd stuff. I got my TC for about $70 less than what they wanted for the new one and there's still time to get it before Airventure (I leave Wednesday).

Don't neglect the early morning. There's plenty of light at 6:30-7 and hardly any foot traffic.

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazoo View Post
    Will do!!! (was that "bring a chair when I come say hello" or "bring a chair to Oshkosh because there will be times when I want to sit"?)
    Probably both. You can drop it under the plane and have a spot to relax during the show without hauling back to your camp site. Just look for the big black and orange CAA livery Cabin Waco and remember, we're from the CAA and we're here to help.
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Casper View Post
    If you plan to shoot the afternoon airshows you will love Oshkosh. The show runway runs north / south and you will have the afternoon sun over your shoulder. Bring lots of cards or a cardreader and laptop with space for gigs!! Personally I would not use the TC but that is certainly a matter of preference and style. At least you would have it on a 2.8. If you have a good wide angle bring that for some of the static early and late light shots. You will love it.
    Oh yes, I know! I have a couple 16GB cards, an 8GB and a 4GB. I should be good shooting RAW. Thinking about bringing a backpack to carry stuff in throughout the day, as I am unlikely to return to camp at any point during the day. This would then allow me the ability to download stuff halfway through the day if necessary. I shoot RAW, so...

Quote Originally Posted by PlaneBrain View Post
    I would suggest getting the 1.4 teleconverter if possible. I actually use a 2x for my 300 lens. Also I find that a blanket works much better than a chair, much easier to carry if you also have a load of camera gear. Other essentials for me as an amateur photographer...... several extra camera batteries, sunscreen and a hat, and extra shoes ( it will rain at least one day and soggy shoes are the worst!). The crowds thin out considerably after the airshow ends making photography simpler, not to mention better lighting. Don't forget the seaplane base, good photo opps plus it's a good way to escape the crowds for a bit.
    Here's the thing. I can buy a used Nikon TC for just under $300 and sell it later. OR I could rent one for like thirty bucks. This would give me a 300mm f/4 lens for a 35mm equivalent of roughly 450mm. Alternatively I could rent Nikon's 200-400 for three days for $190. OR I could rent Sigma's 50-500 for the entire week for $92. I'm shooting cropped sensor, so keep that in mind. Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Just got my 50-500 Zoom from Sigma (also have a 1.4x tele). By the way, dig around on Amazon they'll often have used/refurb'd stuff. I got my TC for about $70 less than what they wanted for the new one and there's still time to get it before Airventure (I leave Wednesday).
    How is it as far as focus speed and tracking? I could rent one for the entire week for under a hundred bucks. Do you think I'd be better off with this over my 70-200 2.8 VR I (Nikon glass…) w/ a Nikon 1.4x teleconverter, which would cost $280 to purchase or only $33 to rent for the entire week?

Also wondering about hats. I can't decide between a boonie hat and one with a hanging sun hood in the back...