Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Threat from eaa

Threat from eaa

Over the last months I have received renewal notices from EAA headquarters, each more and more persistent.
    The last one in July, says, "unless we hear from you in the next twenty days, your connection to the EAA community will end."
    That is an exact quote, I didn't make it up or alter the wording.
    I know he didn't write it, but it has Rod Hightower's signature at the bottom so I assume he approved it and is responsible for the content and wording.

Three points I'd like to make, Rod:
    1 I was an EAA member long before I ever heard of you or you were appointed president.
    2 Threats to anyone are just not good manners and are at best counterproductive. I was considering upgrading my membership to a life one, thanks for helping me decide to save the money.
    3 Feel free to keep your word and not contact me again. However you will not be the one to decide if and when I end my connection to EAA.

I have been an EAA member for 30 years since shortly after I got my pilot's license.
    I have attended Oshkosh each year since 1984, and quite a few years also went to Sun N Fun. Often I brought a display aircraft, sometimes two. I have participated in the Young Eagles ride program, at Oshkosh and other places. I have bought rides on the EAA B-17 before they moved it out of Oshkosh, and a number of times on the EAA trimotor as well as helicopters.I have given forums several times at both Oshkosh and Lakeland on mountain flying that seemed to be well received. I have done a winter course at the musuem. I have been a partner in building one homebuilt and owned another.
    I make it a point, or at least I have in the past, to try to get others involved in EAA and Airventure.
    My last membership was current through the end of July.
    I have renewed my membership each of the last years on the first day of Airventure, just as I did this year. I don't recall any threats before and don't need them now.

I have read other's postings on line as to how they feel EAA has taken a new direction since Paul and Tom are not the daily mangers. Many people feel that new direction is not positive. At first I didn't agree with them ,I have always thought EAA was well run, and the fun side of aviation, but I see some of the other side now.

The good news is that I probably wasn't a prospective buyer for a chalet at Airventure anyway.

Regretfully

Bill Greenwood
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-08-2012 at 04:18 PM.

I don't see what the problem is.... if your membership had lapsed, wouldn't, in fact, your "connection to the EAA community" have ended?

Banned
    Give 'em hell Bill. Renewal notices for any organization seeking to retain its members should be warm and fuzzy reflecting a commitment to strong customer/membership relations. The notice you received from EAA sounds like it came from the Cable company and we all know how we feel about them. Hightower and EAA should be ashamed of treating members in such a callous and thoughtless manner. It sucks big time!

I think the EAA connection to the EAA community has ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I think the EAA connection to the EAA community has ended.
    good one!

A little sensitive maybe?

I don't get it. How different is the marketing campaign from "hurry up and save" or "after Monday the deal is gone" or (fill in the blank). A call to action with a sense of urgency is a normal marketing mechanism. I think it is a stretch to call it a threat. I remember recieving similar letters from EAA before Hightower add AOPA (ok, AOPA marketing borders on harassment) or any other organization that relies on member dues for its existence. . .I agree with the questions posed by others. Instead of ^*%##, how can EAA be improved? Maybe your first suggestion should be a more friendly marketing campaign.Daniel

People actually read that crap???

BTW... I bet if you DID become a lifetime member, the mailings pleading you to renew would stop. I haven't gotten a renewal notice in years.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

I think it is also a matter of perception. I and many others may think of ourselves as members of EAA, ,maybe even friends of EAA; while to those at the top looking down we are in fact just customers,and in my case a small customer, not likely to be buying any TBMs.

"Anymouse", I am already a lifetime member, of at least two other organizations, including CAF.

And a pleading is different than a threat..
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-08-2012 at 08:21 PM.

I still have a hard time figuring out the threat part.

(Lifetime: EAA, AOPA, NAA, USPA)
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.