Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best routes from Michigan?

It usually takes about 8 hours, with stops. Also keep in mind you drop an hour on the trip there, but have to take it back on the way home, so plan accordingly.

I live in a suburb of Detroit and have driven the "northern" route (through the U.P.) and the "Western route" (through Chicago). Chicago is the quickest. As others have stated, be wary of Chicago during "rush hour times". Add an hour to the drive if there is heavy traffic in Chicago, otherwise 7-8 hours is about right. 94W to the 41N direct. I am flying for the first time this year. Need a lift?

Daniel

Looks like if I leave my place 5-6am I'll be hitting Chicago around noon to 1.

Quote Originally Posted by davidsflying View Post
    Looks like if I leave my place 5-6am I'll be hitting Chicago around noon to 1.

Just want to say good luck. We're all counting on you.

I've been traveling to OSH since 1978 from the mid Michigan area and have gone both ways. By far the most scenic and relaxing drive is through the U.P. and back down into Wisconsin. Its like a tradition for us now, and the U.P. has numerous places to stop and enjoy the scenery or just grab a pasty. Say - ya - to - da- U.P. Ahh!

I'm leaving from Kalamazoo, MI around 5pm EST on Sunday the 22nd. Any chance I'll miss the heavy traffic by the time I go around Chicago two and a half hours later (6:30pm local time)?

I have driven both the UP route and the Chicago route several times. From the Detroit area, it is about 100 miles farther to go through the UP. I prefer the through Chicago route. I do have a passion for not paying any tolls though...and I do not leave a dime in Illinois for tolls...

If the OP is crossing into Michigan at either Sarnia/Pt. Huron or Windsor/Detroit, traveling via I-94 is quite simple. Most of the construction is completed in Western Indiana/East Illinois. Time spent getting through Chicago really depends on the time of day. I always travel through Chicago on my way to Oshkosh during the night. I rarely have to stop in traffic when cruising through at 5 AM or earlier...even while towing a 36 foot fifth wheel.

MY toll free route is simple: I-94 from Detroit through Downtown Chicago, North of downtown at the I-94/US-41 split I always take US-41 North, US-41 North is freeway and multiple lane divided highway all the way up to where it rejoins I-94 just south of Milwaukee...and it is toll free...remainder of the route is freeway to the Oshkosh exit...enjoy the ride and save $10 in tolls with virtually no time penalty...

Regards

Thanks Rick. Btw question on your toll highways, are they electronic or booths, should I stock up on a few US quarters before?

Looks like we're staying at my friends brother's place in Grand Rapids Tuesday night then leaving early Wednesday morning, figure I'll time it to hit Chicago around 10-11 so it's after morning rush hour (or so I hope).

Quote Originally Posted by davidsflying View Post
    Thanks Rick. Btw question on your toll highways, are they electronic or booths, should I stock up on a few US quarters before?

Looks like we're staying at my friends brother's place in Grand Rapids Tuesday night then leaving early Wednesday morning, figure I'll time it to hit Chicago around 10-11 so it's after morning rush hour (or so I hope).
    Rush hour is never over on the Chicago toll roads....and unless you have an IPass transponder, you will need dollar bills for the tolls. They are manned booths for the payment of cash. We tow our 36 foot fifth wheel up to Oshkosh and the tolls for that would be more than double what a car would be...trust me...I-94 to US-41 back to I-94 where it enters Wisconsin is the way to go...no tolls and no real time or mileage penalty....and you do not have to stop every ten minutes to feed the tax man on the toll road...

Regards

Google Maps is showing the following for toll-free. Does this look right?

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-07-16 at 9.22.05 AM.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  19.6 KB

And this would be the toll version:

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-07-16 at 9.22.24 AM.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  18.6 KB