Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best routes from Michigan?

Best routes from Michigan?

I'll be driving to Oshkosh from Ontario, Canada through Michigan, just curious if anyone has advise on the best route to Oshkosh. I noticed there's a ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee - is that worth taking or is it quicker to drive around the lake through Chicago? Any best routes through / around Chicago?

Thanks.

Can't help much on the route, but I can about the ferry. I am heading to OSH (from Philadelphia PA area) on motorcycle and camping in Scholler till Thursday morning. Leaving, instead of going to Chicago and traffic, I booked a return trip on the 12:30 Lake Express Ferry to Michigan. You pay for your vehicle AND you, and it is a reserved time for that particular ship. So make sure you can get there 45 min- 1 hr before the departure time.

For Chicago, Many have told me that it depends on the day. I was going to hit it on Sunday on the way to OSH and I was told that 294 would be a good way to cut around downtown and then that continues into 94 to head north. Others told me that since I'm motorcycling it out there just to avoid the area all together and go way west, which is what I'll do for safety reasons.

If you have AAA or know someone that does, you can get free maps from them for the Chicago and suburbs that show these routes well.

I drive over from south of Detroit, I've done the ferry before, it takes the same amount of time when you factor in waiting time, loading and unloading etc. I'd stick to I-94 and drive around or through Chicago, then up to OSH. The real advantage of the ferry is that for the time spent on the ferry, you're not driving, you are resting.

Edit: ^yes, 294 around the city is the way to go, Chicago can be confusing!
    Last edited by mazdaP5; 07-11-2012 at 10:08 AM.

I'll probably take the roads and 294 around Chicago then thanks. Have a GPS on board too will just make sure I take 294 regardless then. Much appreciated thanks. Figure I'll cross at Port Huron to save going through Detroit.

Mazda how much time are you expecting to take yourself?

Rolls Eyes

Hi,
    There are apparently a number of routes that can be taken from your location depending on the time, safety, desire for scenery and cost.
    #1 is through or around Chicago with 94/41.
    #2 is to take the SS Badger ferry from Ludington to Manitowoc then Hwy 10 West to 41 South.(4 hours on the water and another 1 hr. drive from Manitowoc.
    #3 is to go North through the Locks into Upper Michigan then down through Escanaba, Menomonee/Marinette on 141 to 41 South through Green Bay, Appleton and Oshkosh.
    Hope that this may help some...
    Good luck and see you there!
    Mike

Me again,
    That is the Soo Locks at Sault Ste. Marie....
    Thanks

Taking one of the LM ferrys is 100% less stressful than driving through Chicago.

Be aware that the trip across Indiana past the bottom of Lake Michigan is often horrendous. 10 to 15 mile back-ups are the norm. One trip last year was stop and go from I-65 to I-355 which is 40 miles. Every semi crossing the country on I-80 is funneled through that section plus all the local traffic which can turn it into a parking lot. Seems there is always construction, as there is now, along that stretch. Depending on where you are in Ontario I would consider crossing at the SOO and coming down from the north or taking one of the ferries if the cost doesn't shock you. You can take the Lake Express out of Muskeegon, MI. to Milwaukee, WI. It crosses in half the time the Badger takes.

tolls

I don't see anyone posting about tolls here. Are you aware of the hassle with tolls through Chicagoland? I use an IPASS unit which helps a lot. There may still be time to order one, maybe borrow from someone?
    plans building a Sonex!!

Some of the Chicago traffic can be avoided if you do it between 1-3 am. If a thunderstorm hits, all bets are off. The freeways flood like a damburst.