Thread: Food costs and availability?

Question Food costs and availability?

I'm just wondering what the general cost of food is and what hours it's available. This is my first Oshkosh and while I'll be camping I'm not much of a camper and would prefer to just buy my food. Just want to figure out a budget for the 5 days I'll be there. I assume like all events prices will be a bit inflated but is there any general guideline for a basic meal at the show? (Doesn't need to be anything fancy). Obviously prices will vary just need a guideline. Also what hours are the show grounds closed (if any), is it practical to leave the grounds for a restaurant in town?

Any advice/info is greatly appreciated thanks.

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...d-and-how-much

See this thread, it was buried a few pages back. Should give you what you need and where to go.

Thank you

For over 15 years, I camped under the wing and ate the food found on the field. Little did I know what I was missing. For the last six years, I have driven with three friends who insist that we eat at these eateries in the evening every year. I will not tell you our schedule because all are busy enough. You should eat at Roxy (Prime Rib) downtown, Vitale's Italian, Fratellos Water Front Restaurant, Wendt's on the Lake(Fish), and Sunset Supper Club on the Lake in Fond du Lac. Remember, this is our little secret.

Sunset Supper Club, yum!!
    plans building a Sonex!!

I brought a whole cooler full of munchies to eat under the wing. There are grocery stores close enough that I am just going to shop there at the deli. You also can eat at the local places just outside of the N 40 gate. There is a bus, if you have your bike even better!

This will be our first year to fly in and camp under the wing. I have read several comments about a possible bus to area restaurants. Where can we get more info on bus rides?

The North 40 bus will take you to the gate in the fence at the NW corner of the field, and through that gate it's a fairly short walk to several restaurants. One is right there at the gate, but the wait there is usually long.

There's a free bus from the bus center near the main gate to Target (don't know the evening schedule), and from Target it's a fairly short walk to several restaurants, Applebee's for one.

If you have a bike that folds or disassembles, that is even better than the bus. Once you clear the gate you will be on your own. You can get one (bike) at the Goodwill store too!

Within reasonable walking distance from the N40 you have:
    Friar Tucks, Hilton Garden Inn, The Pit BBQ, Hardees burgers (aka Carl Jr in other states), LaShures, a Mexican place, Fazzoli's, and Applebys. I'm probably missing a few but you get the picture. There used to be a Chinese buffet place in front of Target. Dunno what's in there these days.
    Next to Target is the Pic N' Save supermarket.