Thread: Instrument Panel Weight

Instrument Panel Weight

Does anyone have a ball park number to plug into a preliminary W&B calculation for the weight of equipment in a basic IFR panel (fairly new equipment, no boat anchors)

Thanks

For a rational person, I'd say under 20 lbs for the instruments alone. Raymer's book for homebuilders (p. 136) lists the instrument/"avionics" weights for a C172 at about 7 pounds but also includes the caveat that the electrical system weighs about 41.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I really doubt if the instruments in our 172M weigh as little as 7 lb. I have handled the radios & the DG when they have been out & I would guess they are at least a couple pounds each.

The newer King radios in the 172R are probably just shy of a pound, but that is just the radio, not the rack, etc.

I suppose I could spend time going thru avionics catalogs, but I'm not planning on picking out avionics equipment until the plane is almost done, anything I pick now will be "old" by then.

I really doubt if the instruments in our 172M weigh as little as 7 lb. I have handled the radios & the DG when they have been out & I would guess they are at least a couple pounds each.
    Yeah, that's why I listed the electrical weight as well. It seems to make more sense and makes me wonder how Raymer was splitting stuff out. I know the avionics for the Vireo (radios, transponder, glass panel, etc) came out to just under 25 lbs including the mounts.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.