Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First timer Africans

First timer Africans

We're a group of 8 microlight pilots from South Africa making our first pilgrimage to Oshkosh. We're leaving next Thursday and the excitement is really building up now. Are there any tips/suggestions for virgin Oshkosh attendees?!

I have only been to Oshkosh a couple of times myself, the last time was 3 years ago.. But, I would suggest you just be another 'aviation nut', and just 'fit in' with all the rest of us!!!! Dont be afraid to let people know you are first timers.. Probably the best thing to do would be to go to the internation tent and sign in and let them know you are there for the first time.. Im sure someone will take you under thier wing and make you feel welcomed.. Just my thoughts, Im sure someone else will add to this with more specific info
    Wayne

Will you be camping in Camp Scholler with the large collection of your SA compatriots, or are you striking out on your own?

As Wayne said, just go out and see it. You'll have a great time! Everything is well organized with warbirds to the way north, homebuilts to the north, vintage to the south, with ultralights/microlights and helis to the way south.

Bring comfortable shoes, probably a hat to keep the sun off of your head, and plenty of money for food (unless you pack your own)! Plenty to see and do, for sure. If you're staying all week, you're sure to hit everything. Also, don't forget to take the bus to the seaplane base. It's off site, but not too far away. Wonderful place to visit!

Welcome to Oshkosh! So far it doesn't look like it's going to be too horribly hot. But it is Wisconsin, so you never really know.

Best regards,
    Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

Definitely sign up at the International Visitors tent early on. Be ready to be overwhelmed by the size, numbers, varieties, & friendliness

Yes Chris, we'll be camping with the other South Africans in Camp Scholler. We are staying the whole week and really looking forward to meeting a whole bunch of aviation enthusiasts from around the globe!

I have been attending EAA Oshkosh since 1974. We have been camping in Scoller since 1980. Hope that we may have learned a few things over the years. We have a campfire almost every night in front of our tent and everyone is invited to attend and share meaningless hanger stories. We are always willing to share information for any "newbies" out there that feel that they might have a question. Even though we are certainly not new to this, I have to say that I am as giddy as a school girl going on her first date looking forward to July 21st! Hope to see you there..... Mike and Brenda Urban

If you're inclined to sampling the local Wisconsin beverages, go to one of the off site, but nearby, beer tents and have a Spotted Cow (or two).
    Bill

Banned
    First of all welcome and enjoy Mecca for pilots and aviation freaks! You are coming a long way so you'll want to take advantage and see it all. There are 2 rules for Oshkosh: Rule #1, do not get overwhelmed by the massive grounds and all there is to see and do. Rule #2, ignore Rule #1 because you will be overwhelmed so you need to guide youself accordingly.

Which means you need to plan your days.

Pre-Read the entire website to get a feel for what's offered and their locations. Check out the exhibitor list for products and services that are "must sees" for you. For the best experience, formally organize what and where you want to see/do for every day. Plan the Hanger visits for rainy or overcast days. Stroll the outdoor exhibits in all sections in a up and down row by row organized fashion so you don't miss anything. Get ready for the daily airshows by picking your spot to sit along the flightline a good hour before show start and bring chairs and a umbrella(sunshade). Check out the evening activities, there's a lot to keep you amused and entertained. Meet and greet as many people as possible, everyone is so friendly and helpful. You're camping so I think you'll find the facilities there and throughout the grounds to be first class covering every need. Spend time with the classics/antiques, they will take your breath away.

And do not forget sunscreen, lots of it. It can get freekin' hot sometimes. Enjoy and prepare yourself to OD on airplanes! And since you are Virgins, be aware that the 2nd night at Scholler is sacrifice night!
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 07-10-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks for the info, sounds great. Look forward to sampling one or three Spotted Cows!!

5 more sleeps!! Wooohoooo