Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grass

Grass

Seems like i read something about being able to land in the grass this year. Now I cant find any reference to it. It wasnt over at Pioneer, but at the main complex.
    Anybody know where to find the info? I looked in the NOTAM. Didnt see it.
    Thanks

I think it was just wishful thinking.
    Last edited by rawheels; 07-12-2012 at 06:08 AM. Reason: typo

The grass runway at the south end of Wittman is still being readied for operation, but it will be limited to tail-skid equipped airplanes that need it. We are hoping we get the green light from FAA!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Grass

Thanks Chad
    Just to be clear; the green light from the FAA that you are waiting for will still be only for tail skid aircraft? No tailwheel aircraft will be allowed?
    Will there be anything posted to let pilots know when the grass becomes usable and the details?

This is primarily a vintage aircraft runway, and they are running the show, so to speak, when it comes to the runway. I'll ask HG for an update this morning.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Grass

Hi Chad
    Any update on the grass landing? I am not even sure which "grass" you are talking about. You mentioned "vintage runway". I will be camping in the vintage aircraft area. Just wondering.
    Thanks
    Rusty

HG was planning to stop in to update, but from what he told me, it's in the airport office now awaiting approval.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

The grass runway was first marked out last year I believe. It's down off the end of Taxiway Papa (if you remember where the amphibs are parked it's roughly on the grass opposite that.
    I believe it is only intended for tail skid aircraft that would be impractical to land on the hard surfaces. In the past the FAA and EAA had allowed some of the tail skid (with prior arrangement) to land in the ditch between the runway and 36. I would definitely plan on landing on the hard surface unless you can't handle it at all.

Thanks FlyingRon
    I have no problem landing on concrete, but the 195 is always looking for a nice grass strip to set down upon. Saves rubber too!

At least you guys have a dedicated short taxi spot off the Pt. Magoo taxiway. Where are you coming in from?