Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAA Medical Division Status

FAA Medical Division Status

Does anybody know if the recent shutdown of the FAA affected the AeroMedical Div in Oakie City? I know that they kept ATC and some inspectors working but the various articles written on this subject were not clear as to what parts of the FAA were actually shut down. I got the impression that this was hitting all the NextGen construction and the FAA support group. I'm waiting on this years renewal of my 3rd class medical Special Issuance which was submitted back in June! Some years it goes quickly and some years it takes months! The shutdown just gives them another excuse to delay!

Joe

According to the docs over on the AOPA forum both the Joklahoma city medical staff and the RFS groups were on the job.
    Have you made the three non-consecutive day calls?

Ron,
    Thanks for the info, I did call last Monday and got the phone tender who looked up my info and said it was "under review", which is the standard answer for a first call, I'll follow-up again and see if I can get some estimate of their recent process time. I've been doing this since 1996, some years things go through in a couple of weeks and some years well......there are pages on the calendar that get torn off before I get the ticket.

Joe

I think you're missing something. You need to call on three non-consecutive days to get your priority upgraded to "interested airman."

I have a special issuance thrid class medical that will expire in October. This is my first time for renewal, do I need to get that thing in now, if it can takes months for it to get approved? The first time took 6 months, and that was with me calling in almost a daily basis for weeks and weeks. I thought the second time would go smoothly...

Depends on what the SI is and what the rules for renewal. You need to read that letter that came with it. If it just says you need to see your AME with whatever additional documentation, it probably can be issued in the office. If the SI itself is expiring, then you probably need to go through the cycle in Johklama City. I'd recommend if you have specific questions you try the Medical Matters forum over at forums.aopa.org (if you are an AOPA member). There are several well-versed AMEs and some FAA types there.

Ron is giving you good advice. Mine is a cardio SI and my 5 year letter expired, so I'm stuck with Oakie City this year. Last year my AME signed me off a few days before expiration. My paperwork still had to be reviewed by the Oakie City boys, but I could continue to fly, I got the official clearance about a month later. I think they all want your evaluation to be current, that is within 60 days, but ask the experts at EAA or AOPA, their both great resources.

Joe

Contact Sue Sedlachek at EAA at 920-426-6112. We can make many of these delay problems go away quickly. If you have specific questions or concerns you can either write me at gpinnell@charter.net (to keep it confidential) or call 989-245-4494. Thanks, Greg (EAA's Aeromedical Council)
    Last edited by gpinnell; 08-14-2011 at 11:02 AM.

I've been on vacation for the past two weeks and found my "ticket" in the mail upon my return. I'm good to go until next year and have the paperwork to allow my AME to issue directly till 2017! I will still have to have all the usual tests and paperwork for him to review, but that has kept me in business without the delay in the past. Thanks to all the responders and advice hope this post has informed others in the "Special Issuance" class to be patient and keep working the "system"!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaMantia View Post
    I've been on vacation for the past two weeks and found my "ticket" in the mail upon my return. I'm good to go until next year and have the paperwork to allow my AME to issue directly till 2017! I will still have to have all the usual tests and paperwork for him to review, but that has kept me in business without the delay in the past. Thanks to all the responders and advice hope this post has informed others in the "Special Issuance" class to be patient and keep working the "system"!

Joe
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem